Sick of the megaphone muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick of the megaphone muffler

I have a Kerker 4-1 with the megaphone. I hate the looks and the sound. I do like the header though. Any thoughts on something to replace the meg with?

Originally posted by mixongw
    I have a Kerker 4-1 with the megaphone. I hate the looks and the sound. I do like the header though. Any thoughts on something to replace the meg with?
    The stocker- my favorite. I gained 12 MPG when I went from my 4-1 and jet kit to stock! Just my opinion.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I always prefer stock too, Try and get a stock muffler from late 90's GSXR or what ever you can find & have a mid pipe made at local muffler shop...... SHould be able to repack the Kerker
      Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2006, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        The stocker- my favorite. I gained 12 MPG when I went from my 4-1 and jet kit to stock! Just my opinion.
        I did the same thing, took off the Kerker 4 into 1 and went back to stock. I have been happier with the sound, look and overall tuning with the stock setup. The main advantage of most 4-1 setups is that they weigh about 20 lbs. less, achieved by lower quality single wall (ugly blue) tubing and one loud muffler.

Comment

I've done the opposite. I went from a MAC system to an open end megaphone last week and my MPG has gone from 120 miles per tank to about 90 miles per tank.

After I do my chain conversion this weekend I'm going to get a midpipe fabbed up and mounted to the bike for a sportbike can.

Comment

Here is a yosh can mounted up on my GS450.

The directory http://www.keslers.net/bikes/gs450/ has more pics of the pipe, and is browseable.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
              I did the same thing, took off the Kerker 4 into 1 and went back to stock. I have been happier with the sound, look and overall tuning with the stock setup. The main advantage of most 4-1 setups is that they weigh about 20 lbs. less, achieved by lower quality single wall (ugly blue) tubing and one loud muffler.
              I know, isn't it unreal how heavy the stock pipes are? I've never had dual pipes on my GS's, and I love it. It's like going from mono to stereo! And thank god for the center stand!! I've missed that thing big time. Did you gain major mileage also? I think I'm getting at least 50 MPG on my 1100E, and I ride like a fool most the time. I can go almost 180 miles before hitting reserve, and my Pingel leaves about 2 gallons in the tank before reserve.
              Currently bikeless
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                I know, isn't it unreal how heavy the stock pipes are? I've never had dual pipes on my GS's, and I love it. It's like going from mono to stereo! And thank god for the center stand!! I've missed that thing big time. Did you gain major mileage also? I think I'm getting at least 50 MPG on my 1100E, and I ride like a fool most the time. I can go almost 180 miles before hitting reserve, and my Pingel leaves about 2 gallons in the tank before reserve.
                I use the center stand all the time, and wouldn't want to be without it. I don't mind a little extra weight if I'm not drag racing. I carry a lot of heavy stuff at times in the tank bag and tail pack, and I'm more interested in balanced performance than looking or sounding "cool". I don't liked loud pipes anyway, and the Kerker didn't sound good to me, only annoying. Sort of a cheap, tinny sound. I don't remember mileage changes, as I took off the Kerker pipes a long time ago. It isn't hard to get increased mileage (and fried valves/melted pistons) with 4 into 1 pipes not jetted properly and running too lean. Mileage depends a lot on conditions, but I usually get in the mid to high forties with the stock pipes in average conditions.

Comment

I think Jethro also changed from PODs to the stock airbox. If so, this is probably the biggest reason for the increased gas mileage. There is a big difference in airflow between the stock airbox and PODs. Since an engine is basically an air pump, the more air going through the engine, the more power it makes. The more power it makes, the more fuel it uses. Most bikes can go from stock exhaust to a 4 into 1 system without jetting changes. The bike won't run as well as it could and will probably be a little lean but it probably won't blow up either. Stock exhaust systems tend to increase midrange performance while 4 into 1 systems tend to improve top-end power. Also, having a 4 into 1 system does not necessarily mean losing the centerstand or having to remove the system to change oil. The Supertrapp stainless system I've had on my GS for over 15 years retains the centerstand and allows access to the oil drain plug and oil filter cover. While I agree that a smooth, quiet stock exhaust is nice I prefer the performance improvement with PODs, pipe, and jet kit. If you have a street baffle in a 4 into 1 system and keep it freshly packed you'll have a nice sound without being obnoxious.

Just my opinion,
                  Joe
                  IBA# 24077
                  '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                  '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                  '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Joe:

What is a "street baffle"? I've got a VH 4 into 1 setup on a 1982 GS750E and I am looking to quiet it down.

- Tim

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaTim
                      Joe:

What is a "street baffle"? I've got a VH 4 into 1 setup on a 1982 GS750E and I am looking to quiet it down.

- Tim
                      Most manufacturers made street and race baffles for their pipes. The race baffles usually had larger openings and flowed more. This also made more noise. The baffles, street or race, are supposed to be wrapped with a fiberglass pad or other packing material which softens the tone of the pipe. A pipe with no packing sounds 'raspy'. This packing doesn't last too long and must be replaced periodically. Your V&H should have a removeable baffle. You'll probably find there is little or no packing in the baffle.

Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by kkesler

The directory http://www.keslers.net/bikes/gs450/ has more pics of the pipe, and is browseable.
                        How much did it run you to get that exhaust set-up made? I'm contemplating getting a custom set-up rather than a MAC 2-into-1 system for my gs450e.

Comment

Originally posted by kkesler

Dangit, stop it!! You been pimping that picture for how long now without telling us how you got the thing on there.

PLEASE explain how you got the pipe to fit!!! PLEASE.....

Comment

yes, please tell us

Comment

Wow, I'd say an easy answer is to get a header you want to use, get the can you want to use, then bring the whole thing witht eh bike to a good exhaust shop and have them fab up a mid-pipe. Here is a pic with the D&D can and V&H header that the bike came with:

All it took was a mid-pipe custom bent and cut from the header to the can. Fabricate your own mount if the can didn't come with one and YAHTZEE- performance pipe!

Personally, how can you deny 48 mpg and dual pipes. Heck, the bike is already faster than stink, I don't needs them damn pods and pipe. How can you deny this:

Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                              X