Starting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Problems

I am trying to come to the conclusion as to why my bike is not starting. I have an 81 GS750. I have just got the carbs worked on. I am having a couple of problems. I think I may be having problems with my throttle cable or my fuel flow. how can I start to correct these problems
    Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2006, 09:34 AM.

Adjustments

The throttle cable should have about a 1/16-1/8 inch play when you pull on the throttle cable (rotate the handle) prior to feeling tension on the cable, you dont want constant tension on that cable at rest. Opening the throttle fully should open the carbs fully, if not make sure you have the correct length cable. To adjust it at the carbs when it is installed it should be held in place with a jam nut on the cable fork that sits above the carb body securing the cable, you can adjust that nut up and down putting on to taking off tension on the lever that opens the carbs, there should not be any tension on that cable, it should have just the slightest amount of play in it, just the slightest. Then make sure it is secured in the proper position in the throttle handle, if it is too long you wont be able to make up the difference in adjustments, otherwise if everything is like I wrote then it should be operating properly.
    As far as the carbs go that is a difficult question to answer, you could try getting a carb balancing tool and make sure the carbs are all in sequence to begin with, otherwise the general rule of thumb is 2 1/2 turns back off on the pilot air screw, that you have to play with but a carb balancer will be a big help.
    Good Luck Bill

Comment

I tried that and it still is not doing anything. I also noticed that after trying to start it a few times the battery gets weak. would it be a bad idea to hook a charger up to the battery while I am trying this.

Comment

Be sure to put your tank setting on prime to get the initial fuel into the carbs.

David

Comment

Originally posted by babyboims
          I tried that and it still is not doing anything. I also noticed that after trying to start it a few times the battery gets weak. would it be a bad idea to hook a charger up to the battery while I am trying this.

You can hook up a charger...or a jump from a car battery (car not running!!)

Comment

Working...
          X