• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Recommendations for a 1982 GS750E

I need to replace the tires. Per the local Suzuki dealer the OEM sizes are:
    4.00 x 18 REAR
    3.25 x 19 FRONT

What does this translate into with regards to standard tire nominclature, such as 100/90-19?

What brand and model does anyone/everyone recommend as a good, stable, tire for these bikes? Especially with a beginner driver on the seat.

Thanks.

100/90-19 is about, not exactly a 3.25 front.

I've been running Dunlop GT501's with no problems.
    Good life, good grip when warm and good in the rain.
    And if you shop around, internet, prices are reasonable.
    Around 65-85 for a front. Dealers wants $135.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaTim
      I need to replace the tires. Per the local Suzuki dealer the OEM sizes are:
      4.00 x 18 REAR
      3.25 x 19 FRONT

What does this translate into with regards to standard tire nominclature, such as 100/90-19?

What brand and model does anyone/everyone recommend as a good, stable, tire for these bikes? Especially with a beginner driver on the seat.

Thanks.
      www.ridenow.com has good prices on Dunlop 404's (and lots of other tires) - they are pretty inexpensive and seem to have good grip and good wear.

According to bridgestone the size for your bike is 100/90-19 in the front and 110/90-18 in the front.

Now, that being said, they list my 79 750L as having an 18 inch tire in the rear, but it has a 17 - go figure!

Comment

I have the same bike and i run metzlers on it. I love them. Never will put dunlops on a bike.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiGSX1300R06
          I have the same bike and i run metzlers on it. I love them. Never will put dunlops on a bike.
          AGREED!
          I have tried many a tire on my street bikes. Dunlaps are WAY overrated. A good tire, but there are FAR better options, for less money. I feel the same way about Metz'. A better tire, but very PRICEY.
          I am currently shaking down a little know tire called Maxxis C6002's. There sneakers are V rated, (which virtually no other GS tire has), and they are WAY less money that any other tire on the market. So far I am VERY impressed with the performance, and ride. I can't however comment on longevity, I just shod my bike with these tires a few months ago. Problem is they have a limited size availability, and Maxxis doesn't make a 4.00-18 rear equivilant, but you can get a "4.60ish"-17 for the 850cc and up bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
            AGREED!
            I have tried many a tire on my street bikes. Dunlaps are WAY overrated. A good tire, but there are FAR better options, for less money. I feel the same way about Metz'. A better tire, but very PRICEY.
            I am currently shaking down a little know tire called Maxxis C6002's. There sneakers are V rated, (which virtually no other GS tire has), and they are WAY less money that any other tire on the market. So far I am VERY impressed with the performance, and ride. I can't however comment on longevity, I just shod my bike with these tires a few months ago. Problem is they have a limited size availability, and Maxxis doesn't make a 4.00-18 rear equivilant, but you can get a "4.60ish"-17 for the 850cc and up bikes.
            I am curious where you get the Maxxis, and what the price is roughly? I know the dunlop 404's are pretty cheap - like $40 for a front and 50 for a rear plus shipping.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2006, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
              AGREED!
              Load of crap about the Dunlops. I have a 401 rear tire I bought 3500 miles ago with almost no noticeable wear. It was $85. At this rate, it will far outlast the Metzler.

Comment

The Dunlop 404s stick very well, but they wear out quickly. They are inexpensive, though.

The Dunlop 491s cost a lot more, but have 98% of the grip and last two or three times as long.

Cheng Shin HiMax are an excellent economy tire. Good grip and good longevity with fantastic pricing.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Tires

I can get the Dunlop GT501s from www.ridenowonline.com for $170, delivered. Thats within budget for this. Thanks for all the feedback.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the wheels off so that I can have the tires mounted. :-D HELP! :-D

Comment

I have run Dunlop K491s for about 4,000 miles and they are still in great shape. Not at sticky as Metzlers I have run in the past, but still sticky enough to drag a foot peg when I want too! Cant remember how much I paid, but search the internet and you can find decent deals.

Comment

Originally posted by nuts930
                      I have run Dunlop K491s for about 4,000 miles and they are still in great shape. Not at sticky as Metzlers I have run in the past, but still sticky enough to drag a foot peg when I want too! Cant remember how much I paid, but search the internet and you can find decent deals.
                      I have to give credit where credit is due, K491's are a great long lasting tire. They are however pricey. They usually dry rot, before the tread ever wears out!

Comment

It just so happens that today I ran across a little note to myself on my work computer regarding the two tire changes I did last summer. I had completely forgotten that I wrote this info down, but there it was in a little-used stickies file.

I installed Dunlop 404s in late May 2005, just before the Brown County GS rally at 62,200 miles. A few weeks later, after the North Carolina GS rally, they were totally roached after 2,700 miles, and were replaced with Dunlop K491 Elites the first week of July at 64,900 miles. They had fantastic grip in all weather, but didn't last too long.

It's April 26, 2006, and the bike just turned 72,000 miles today. Here's a photo I just took a minute ago of the rear tire on my GS850G after 7,000 wild and wooly miles:

You can tell they have some miles and wear, but the profile is still nice and round, with plenty of tread depth left. Those damn tire nubbins at the edges are battered and bruised, but I haven't managed to quite wear them all off yet. (I live in the middle of Indiana -- I have to ride an hour just to get to some curves.) No embarrassing chicken strips, anyway.

Basically, I am mightily impressed by the Dunlop 491s. The bike and I are both rather heavy and we ride very fast. 491s have a much heavier carcass and don't have quite the "running shoe" feel of the 404s, but they have at least 95% of the grip in all weather. They're more like a pair of good boots -- a bit less feel for the terrain, but a lot more durable and just as much grip.

As far as brands, there's Metzeler, Dunlop, and then everyone else. High-end Metz and Dunlops are a little spendy, but well worth it, especially if you pile on a lot of miles. I had a bad experience years ago with a defective Metzeler, but many here have been quite happy with them.

If you must save pennies, I've also worn out three sets of Cheng Shin HiMax tires and been very happy. I'd say they have at least 85% to 90% of the grip of the Dunlops (no trouble dragging parts or riding in the rain), and I usually got about 6,000 to 8,000 miles out of a set. They're cheap enough that you tend to replace them a little sooner than other tires. They're available in a huge range of sizes, and are often about the only choice for oddball sizes.

If anyone wants to send me a free set of Continental, Avon, Pirelli, or Michelin tires to (a)buse, I'll be happy to wear 'em out and report back -- they are all excellent brands, too, but not as well-known. But when it's my money, I have to go with the sure thing.

Also, much love to http://tiresunlimited.com in Dayton, Ohio -- they have excellent prices and they actually STOCK what they sell. Most other internet tire shops are actually some goober in his Mom's basement acting as a middleman. If you mount your own tires and you're in the midwest, they're the bee's knees -- I'm in Indy, so I get my tires the next day via regular UPS.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                          I installed Dunlop 404s in late May 2005, just before the Brown County GS rally at 62,200 miles. A few weeks later, after the North Carolina GS rally, they were totally roached after 2,700 miles, and were replaced with Dunlop K491 Elites the first week of July at 64,900 miles. They had fantastic grip in all weather, but didn't last too long.
                          wow, not much for mileage out of the 404, I got 7000 on my 404 rear (should have changed at 6500 probably, I pushed it a bit far). The front is still on and looks like it might last out the new rear. must be pushing 10,000 on the front right now.

I dont exactly ride like a sissy either - I am known for my spark showers from dragging the centerstand! (I might just have to remove it this summer!)

Comment

tires

I believe the GT501's are the followup to the K491's. Thanks for the input.

- Tim

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaTim
                              I believe the GT501's are the followup to the K491's. Thanks for the input.

- Tim
                              No, not really. GT501's are an extremely soft almost "race compound" biased ply tire. GT501's have incredible grip, but the longevity is only marginally "fair". K491's are more of a sport touring/ full touring tire. Dunlap just released the latest version of the K491 dubbed the "Elite III". I believe they slightly softened up the compound.
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2006, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X