Hard start is back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard start is back

Bike sat for over a week and with a full battery I tried to start it today.

Tank was half full and I poured a bunch of Techron cleaner in there. Bike would crank and crank but not catch. Neither clutch or throttle would help (used separately.)

I left it on prime for a while longer and it eventually caught with full choke, and the idle climed to about 3500-4000rpms and then started to die down a bit, and if I didn't give it some throttle, she'd die. That only lasted a little bit, and then I could take her off choke completely after a couple of minutes and she'd rest at 1100-1300 rpms.

After riding for awhile and filling up with 91octane, she idled around 2100 rpms.

This has gotta be fuel delivery, right? I checked the petcock last week and it tested great with the sucking on the vacuum line test. Sounds like a blocked pilot/main right?

She'd start right now with no choke and a slight twist of the throttle just to get her to catch, and then idle nicely.

Are you guys just getting sick of my questions?

Comment

Also, about three times today in rides around town she'd die when coming to a stop and downshifting. I'd be in second or third and coming to a stoplight and if I left in the clutch too long without revving, she'd just die on me and be a real bear to get started again. Took some magic with the choke/throttle to get her to catch again.

This is driving me nuts. WTF am I doing wrong!?!

Also, those retards at Advance Auto Parts sold me a compression checker specifically for my bike that didn't have the correct attachments. Although I'm at least a little to blame for just trusting them and not checking myself.

Comment

the fast idle doesnt sound like fuel but rather an air leak. was the bike running well untill this happned
        ???

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
          the fast idle doesnt sound like fuel but rather an air leak. was the bike running well untill this happned
          ???
          It's been a bit wonky since I got her. Originally took starter fluid sprayed into the filter to get her to start if she'd sat for a few days.

Now she'll start, but it ain't easy if I haven't been riding her regular. When she does start with full choke, she'll just barely start, until I give her some gas, and then she'll climb up to around 4K with full choke. But after a little while, that idle will come down and she'll die if I don't give her some throttle, even with the choke fully on.

I've sprayed all over all the boots with water, and found no leaks.

Pulled the plugs today and 2 & 3 were carbon fouled. Just checked for spark and I'm good there. Petcock is good too. Battery and charging system tested good.

It sounds like the valves are a bit noisy, or perhaps the cam chain? Could this account for it? The previous owner mentioned weak compression in one of the cylinders.

Comment

Any idea when the carbs were last rebuilt?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles
              Any idea when the carbs were last rebuilt?
              Nope, although I wonder why the problem would go away once warm and then come back later. Although, even when warm it'll occassionally die when coming off of high revs, such as when coming to a stop suddenly, if I don't give it a little gas before the rpm's get too low.

Why can't any of you ridiculously ingenious GS gurus live near me!?!?

I do have a spare set of carbs that I'm gonna switch out just to double check this weekend.

Comment

Mike...Have you cleaned your air filter?? How old is it??

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike
                  Are you guys just getting sick of my questions?
                  No...actually its been entertaining :-D

Comment

I'm also inclined to check for air leaks.

Check intake rubbers and o-rings,
                    air filter - has it collapsed, is it clogged?

You just keep asking those questions and we'll just keep ignoring them. :-)

Kim

Comment

Air filter is brand new, and I misted water around all the boots and got no change.

Comment

Also check and clean electrical connectors involved with ignition. On my bike, i recently found the connectors on the coils were all corroded, making starting the bike harder as spark was intermittent...

Comment

Originally posted by kalessin
                          Also check and clean electrical connectors involved with ignition. On my bike, i recently found the connectors on the coils were all corroded, making starting the bike harder as spark was intermittent...
                          How do I know which ones to clean?

Where they're located?

Comment

Working...
                          X