Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally started engine after rebuild

1981 GS1000G
    has been in parts for years, and have started it for the first time. I'm extremely happy to be at this point (engine sounds great) but when it starts, it revs up extremely high!
    have to kill it. Does the carb just need adjusting? And if so... is this an easy task?
    thanks!

if the bike has been sitting most likely the carbs will need to be rebuilt at the very least take off the float bowl cover clean out the crud and spray carbs with cleaner while the bike runs. most likely your slides are sticking open. good luck.

Comment

i just looked and (with engine off) there's a constant drip of gas comming out of a carb mouth to the boot going to the air filter, and out. Hope this isn't too major!

Comment

You possibly have a stuck float. Take apart the carbs and clean them thoroughly. Then bench sync them and sync on a running motor.

There are some good people on here for rebuilding carbs along with some good threads.

Comment

If you have had the carbs off the bike (but not taken them apart), you might have the throttle cable adjusted a bit too tight. That will not allow them to return to a proper idle. Check this easily by moving the throttle grip slightly to see if there is 1/8 to 1/4 inch of play. I prefer the minimum possible.

But, like the ohers have said, you might need to remove the carbs and clean them out, too.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
            If you have had the carbs off the bike (but not taken them apart), you might have the throttle cable adjusted a bit too tight. That will not allow them to return to a proper idle. Check this easily by moving the throttle grip slightly to see if there is 1/8 to 1/4 inch of play. I prefer the minimum possible.

But, like the ohers have said, you might need to remove the carbs and clean them out, too.
            yes it was off the bike. Everything was apart, and has taken me (inexperienced) a LOT of study and time to get it together. I'm still inexperienced! ha

would the throttle cable being adjusted too tight cause gas to drain into the air cleaner from the carb?
            Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2006, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by david
              yes it was off the bike. Everything was apart, and has taken me (inexperienced) a LOT of study and time to get it together. I'm still inexperienced! ha

would the throttle cable being adjusted too tight cause gas to drain into the air cleaner from the carb?
              No, but it would give the fast idle.

When you had the carbs apart did you check the float height? Are the floats damaged? Is the needle and seat functioning properly? Some of the things to check.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryman
                No, but it would give the fast idle.

When you had the carbs apart did you check the float height? Are the floats damaged? Is the needle and seat functioning properly? Some of the things to check.

thanks... i'll definately take that advise and check the floats and needle. (while needing to learn about it from scratch) I'm not even sure if I need to pull the carb off to do so.

but first things first thinking...
                if these things are the problem, could the float and/or needle cause the extremely high idle?
                I assume that, from this thread, they could cause the exessive gas to leak into the air filter box?

Comment

Working...
                X