Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banjo bolts - again ?

Hi

could anyone tell (for sure) the threadpitch for the frontbrake banjo bolts at my 77' GS550.
    I have searched the forum for similar answers, but it seems that both 10x1.0 and 10x1.25 are mentioned.

thanks

Stig
    77 GS550B

I would bank on the 1.0 pitch, but I'd take them off and hold 'em up to a ruler.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I'm 99% sure brake banjos are 1.0 pitch, but as always, the reality of the parts in front of you trumps everything else. I've found a few parts on mine that were bodged together with inch size bolts by previous owners.

If you can take an old banjo bolt or the caliper down to your local hardware store, they should have a thread pitch gauge or a bolt you can use to verify.

You could also use an old 6mm diameter X 1mm pitch case bolt as a thread gauge -- it's pretty easy to feel if the threads catch and line up. Standard pitch for 8mm bolts is 1.25mm.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

What bothered me, was several statements at dealers homepages like: "10x1.25 for most Japanese bikes".
        But it seems that "most" means any bike but Suzuki.

I had to be sure before i ordered a hydraulic brake switch, and I hated to disassemble the brakes, when they were working great.
        Did it although - 99% was not enough - and I found 10 wrinkles at 10mm, so you were both right: M10x1.0 .

Thanks again

Stig
        77 GS550B

Comment

Working...
        X