Help please!!!!!!gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please!!!!!!gs750

OK OK so here is my issue, and yes i have searched but everything i have looked at does not seem to help me....so here is the deal I have a 1982 gs750, including 4to1 vance & Hines header and pipe..pods,stage 3 kit, cams ect. I ride the bike every day to work, but the other day I was cleaning it up and as I am going over the carbs with a rag the under side of the carb feels wet. "like gas" so of course i am thinking stuck float, so i pull of all of the pods and nothing i start to look at the seals fuel lines ect but i just can not find where this is comming from. also the leak is not a lot, i mean it does not drip it is as if you took a spray bottle and let say spayed a few times. so my question is could it be coming from the vent tubes between the carbs? i did do a check on my petcock like stated in other post and all seems fine.

any help would be so thankful, i am just hoping that it is not somthing that i have to take off the carbs because this is my main ride to work...

Thanks all
    Gary[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

If it's coming out of the vent lines, you have both a faulty petcock and a float valve. The petcock should not flow without the motor running, and the overflow line only spits gas if the float valve is not functioning properly.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Like i said i dont know where it is coming from, i just asked could it be from the vent tubes.. i did pull the fuel line off and in the run position there is no fuel flow. put vacum on the petcock and fuels flows so I know the petcock is fine, also all cyl are firing...

Comment

Originally posted by garyrc
        Like i said i dont know where it is coming from, i just asked could it be from the vent tubes.. i did pull the fuel line off and in the run position there is no fuel flow. put vacum on the petcock and fuels flows so I know the petcock is fine, also all cyl are firing...
        Well, if it coming from the vent tubes (which yes, it is possible), then it sounds as if you may have a stuck float, or a float that isn't floating. Spend dome more time trying to see where the gas is coming from. Is it leaking when the bike is off or only when it is running?
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I think only when off, but iam not sure.. it seems to be coming from the side almost like a float bowl gasket...but i really cant tell, looks like in between carb 1 and 2..#-o ](*,)

Comment

If the leak is there when the bike is off, and the petcock doesn't flow without vacuum, then it's impossible to drain more than what's in the bowls.

Are the screws at the bottom of the bowls leaking? Are the gaskets leaking when the bike is on it's sidestand?

If the floats are adjusted properly, and the petcock doesn't leak, that's all the suggestions I have.

Comment

Been there

I would check to see if it is coming from the rubber tubing that connects the two carbs together. If it is, I believe they are not availible anymore. So be careful if you do pull them apart. On a second note I ran into a problem with a float vent tube leaking last summer and I could not for the life of me find out what it was. Well then I did. The floats were not stuck, but there was a hairline split (invisible I may add) that ran up the vent tube inside the carb and the fuel would pass through the side of the tube and out the bottom of the vent. I filled the bowl with water and no leak, but with gas it leaked. Density... should have thought of that! Good luck

Comment

I only notice it when the bike is off and on its side stand..i do not have a center stand, and it is not a drip but more like a weap, if that maks sense..
                also thanks for all the advice

Comment

Well then..

I am assuming that you pulled off the vent tubes and that the vents are not dripping correct? There goes my hairline crack theory (But always remember that one. It could drive you nuts) Since the petcock is functioning properly it would only point two the connection tubes or a leaking bowl gasket. I would start there since it fairly cheap to replace gaskets. You may also try swapping bowls with a dry one from the other side and see if it follows since you are going to replace the gaskets anyway. GLTU
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2006, 04:02 PM.

Comment

vent tubes are open "no tubes connected". however i am not ruling out a crack. picture this, you are kneeling by the bike "left side if you are sitting on the bike" cannot see anything dripping but if you put your hand on the bowl and reach up between carb 1 and 2 it will cover about the tip of your pinkie finger with what smells like gas..

Comment

That sounds like the rubber tube connection between the carbs. The only thing to do to eliminate the gaskets is to change them. I would do this for starters.

1. Drain all the bowls.
                      2. wipe carb area clean
                      3. Carefully silicone perimeter around bowls 1 and 2 with proper silicone. ( you can always peel it off later)
                      4. Fill the bowls back up.
                      5. Check for wetness.

If it still leaks, I would look at that tube connection. There really is nothing else suspect.

Good luck

Comment

ok I will give it a try, and see what happens.

Thanks=D> :grin:

Comment

Working...
                        X