gs1100 shims

hey does any one know the stock shim sizes for a 1982 gs1100gkz
    and witch valves they go on (in-out)

thank you.

Originally posted by Kamui

thank you.
    GS1100's don't use valve shims. The valves are adjusted using a locking setscrew method.

Comment

no I am pritty shure my bike uses shims

Comment

GS1100GK's and all 8-valve 1100's (with the round camshaft-end trim caps) use shims.

As far as I know, there's no "stock" set, they would have come from the factory with the shims that set the valves correctly.

While it is possible to buy individual shims, you can also sometimes trade them with your local Suzuki mechanics.

Comment

Get a new valve cover gasket, spray with PAM cooking spray non stick.
          Remove the cam cover & check the clearances. YOU may not even need to change them. Their are 25? different shims the mechanics set came with 5 of each. They are available seperatly

Comment

Originally posted by kalessin
            GS1100GK's and all 8-valve 1100's (with the round camshaft-end trim caps) use shims.

As far as I know, there's no "stock" set, they would have come from the factory with the shims that set the valves correctly.

While it is possible to buy individual shims, you can also sometimes trade them with your local Suzuki mechanics.
            So the GK's no matter what year use 8 valve heads???? More education for me. Sorry for my previous bogus post guys......

Comment

All the GK's are shaft driven, and all shaft driven GS Suzukis are 8 valve motors. All 16 Valvers are Chain Driven

Comment

Originally posted by 83'GK
                All the GK's are shaft driven, and all shaft driven GS Suzukis are 8 valve motors. All 16 Valvers are Chain Driven
                But, not all chain drive GS's are 16 valve... just to confuse old Clam even more...:-D
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If she weighed the same as a duck... she's made of wood.
                  And therefore...
                  ...A witch!

LOL

Comment

Hey Kamui,

I don't know if you dealt with your potential valve adjustment problem yet. Yes it is an old eight valve shim style head (you know this first hand by now??). I checked mine out this Spring (1982 GS1100G), and bought some individual shims from BikeBandit (there was still snow on the ground). I was wrong on two of them, so took a couple of brand spanking NEW valve shims to my local Suzuki dealer, to trade. The parts manager went back into the service bays and brought back the box of shims (ALL USED). First, he didn't want to trade. While he was acting like he couldn't decide, I realized that he would just take mine and sell them again. No problem, except that it means that if you get your valves adjusted by this dealership, they will usually install used shims and charge you full new retail value for the used shims. The customer would never know. Mine would have been the ONLY new ones in his box of used shims! The amazing thing was that he did not have the sizes that I was offering in trade, so it would have enhanced his inventory, maybe allowing him to adjust another GS owner's valves without waiting for shims from Suzuki.

A shim is a shim, and it makes no different if it is new. As long as it is the right thickness it will work. But he was much more concerned about not taking money from me for the (used) shims. I was desparate, so I bought two of his used shims (at new retail price). And kept my new shims. I didn't see the logic in trying to convince him that he needed the shims; that he didn't have the sizes I was offering him. Think about it... He sold used shims to someone in the service bay, took their shims and sold them to me, again. Gee.

Comment

I always buy extra shims in sizes I think I might need soon. I've got a nice little collection now, and usually don't have to make the trek to CRC2 when it's valve adjustment time.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Kamui View Post

thank you.
                        Howdy Kamul......Your GS1100 should use 29.5mm (O.D.) shims which are selective fit and available in thicknesses from 2.30 to 3.00 mm in .05 mm icrements (roughly .002 steps). As the bike ages, the valves recess into the head which requires selecting thinner shims usually to maintain the .0013 to .003" clearance spec. If you check and find no clearance, you'll likely have to adjust at least .004 to .005" thinner for that valve. I sand my own here using a vacuum holding device and a benchtop disc/belt sander with fine grit to polish - measuring periodically with a micrometer. Obviously if you have access to a stash of various sizes that'd be nice as well

Comment

Excellent info SSParks. Absolutely right, the gap disappears as valve seat from wear. I never thought about 'honing' shims. This strategy would allow you to even use the same shim throughout valve life for every single valve... COOL. GREAT post!

Comment

Be careful with that... they should be hard shims I think. In this case working on them might "let down" the hardness.

Also I don't know if they are case hardened or hardened right through. If case hardened you could possibly sand right through the hard bit....

As I say I don't know, just a word of warning... hopefully someone else knows more.

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                            X