Need new petcock for 81 gs450e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need new petcock for 81 gs450e

Where can I get a new petcock for my 81 gs450e? I'd rather replace the entire thing than rebuild the original.

I've seen some listings on Ebay, but I wasn't sure if they would really fit my bike.

Thanks,

-charles

brand new from bike bandit: http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...me~GS450EX.asp

Comment

didn't think i'd have to spend quite that much... If it comes down to it, I guess I'll have no other choice.

The ones I saw on ebay all look different from the one on my bike. The one in the link from bike bandit looks identical.

Any other input?

-charles

Comment

A good parts yard can hook you up with a decent used one. I got mine for around 25$. It didn't match up so they offered to switch the diaphram for me when I took it back. No charge I am missing that place...

Comment

New Cheap Petcock Replacement

Dont bother rebuilding or even replacing the vacuum operated petcock, they just are not reliable over time.. I recently had nothing wrong with my petcock and one day i had gas pouring out of my left muffler, right by the side stand, the vacuum port was pulling fuel into the #2 carb overflowing it, the diaphram failed in the petcock and was letting fuel past rather then just opening the port to allow fuel into the carbs, lucky i was in my garage and not on the road. I would strongly recommend getting a standard petcock with a 3/8 inch NPT end, that is National Pipe Thread that is tapered so it gets tighter as you screw it in. The adapter plate is just that it screws into the bottom of the tank using the same holes already there. You will have to open up the hole in the tank a little to allow the new petcock to pass thru since they are round and the old one is oval, no big deal with a dremel tool, all I needed was a small amount removed for it to pass. The adapter plate comes with an adhesive and gasket that you glue to the bottom of the tank and secure with screws. Then you screw the new petcock into the adapter plate using a little teflon tape. The nice thing is you can get any 3/8 inch petcock. The difference is there is no vacuum port so you have to plug the port on the carb, the petcock has a off, run and reserve position so you have to remember to shut it off after you shut down the bike. I purchased a Pingle adapter plate from www.Z1enterprises.com for about $14 but they didn't have a petcock with a 5/16 inch nipple for the fuel line so i picked up a standard petcock at the dealarship for $16, you can go more expensive, Z1 has Pingles for $60. I opened up the opening a little to pass the petcock into the tank, applied the adhesive and gasket, screwed the adapter plate in and screwed the petcock in, no leaks and it works great, looks great too, operates much easier. The only thing you need to know is the distance the screws are on your current petcock, there are not too many configurations, mine was 44mm apart, they even sell offset adapter plates if you need to reposition your petcock further back or forward. The total was less then $30 for a nice chromed adapter plate and petcock. I took less then 30 min to do the whole job including 10 min for the adhesive to dry. I had to replace my oil as it got contaminated with gas, I was so lucky I was not riding when the diaphram decided to fail and let gas into the vent line, that gas was coming out my exhaust and it was coming out quite a bit, the thought of that happening with a hot exhaust was scary, it could have caught fire or even exploded with the amount of gas that was coming out and it never really effect the idle of the bike that much. Do yourself a favor get a non vacuum operated petcock and solve that worry. The petcocks and adapter plates are available everywhere, just get it with a 3/8 NPT thread end.
          Good Luck Bill

Comment

I've gotten five years so far out of my rebuilt original. I'll rebuild it again if it needs it... I'm so used to having a vacuum controlled petcock that I'd keep forgetting to shut the fuel off!

Comment

Petcock shutoff

That was my concern that i would not remember to shut the petcock off and I would have fuel all over the place, but I have to admit since installing this new petcock it has been like second nature, I turn the petcock off before i shut the bike down, then the kill switch and then the key. I do it that order every time and it becomes a quick habit. But still you have to remember and if you are prone to forgetting then the vent operated petcocks are probably a little easier to go with. Personally I never knew the vacuum operated petcocks could fail and actually suck fuel into the vent line into #2 carb while the bike was running, had it failed on the expressway and I dind't catch it I might not be here today, the amount of gas that was running all over my garage floor was frightening, and the bike never missed a beat while it was idling, i just happened to look down because i smelled gas and seen it running out my exhaust pipe by my side stand. After knowing that I would be forever afraid it could happen again.
              Bill

Comment

No carb float seats/needles I know of will completely shut off gas if the bike is left standing for awhile (not running). They just are too primitive so there MUST be a way of shutting off the gas. The vacuum actuated petcock is one way of doing this task. Problem is, if the diaphragm fails, it doesn't fail all at once. If the bike leaks gas while it sits on its side stance, gas comes out the needle jet in the middle of the carb's venturi. It will flow into the airbox... your filter will be trashed. It will flow out the vent tube and create a safety hazard but worst of all, it will drool into the combustion chamber and down your cylinder liner walls and into your crankcase. Washing the cylinder liners of oil doesn't seem like a good idea and you will have greatly increased engine wear on start ups. The downside of a gravity petcock is that it requires you remember to shut off gas when parking the bike but the good news is that a gravity feed petcock actually shuts off gas when the bike is started.

Comment

Working...
                X