'78 GS 1000 Rear wheel R & R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS 1000 Rear wheel R & R

Hi all. It looks fairly straight forward, but I'm a bike newbie . So how does one remove and replace the rear wheel on a 78 GS 1000? I don't have a shaft or diff to work around, so that should simplify things.

Also, how do you remove and replace the chain?

Get a manual! It walks you right through it. It's pretty straight forward man. Especially easy if you still have your center stand. You absolutely must get a service manual if your going to work on your bike.

Comment

Hoom is right, but I didn't get one for a while either. Take a close look at the axel, and note where all the spacers are. Then just take out the axle, and the wheel is off. Putting it back on is technically simple, but can be frustrating getting everything lined up, having a grunt to help makes it easy, but isn't needed.

Comment

Just make sure you get the chain lined up straight, and your chain is the right tension (controlled by the chain adjusters... the two brackets with adjusting screws on the end of the swingarm)

Comment

Oh, and for the chain, you really just want to cut it off with a cut off wheel. The front sprocket has a 32mm nut holding it on, and before you take the chain off, put a big wrench on that, stand on the rear brake, and loosen her up, maybe you'll get lucky, and it won't be on too tight. An impact wrench makes this job rediculously easy.

Comment

There is no need to remove the axle when taking the rear wheel off a 78 1000.

Simply remove the swingarm end plugs after you have slipped the chain off and slide the wheel right out the back.

Part #26 in this picture. They are straight in the back of the swingarm one on each side.

Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2006, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
              There is no need to remove the axle when taking the rear wheel off a 78 1000.

Simply remove the swingarm end plugs after you have slipped the chain off and slide the wheel right out the back.
              This sounds pretty simple! You're sure this is right? :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy
                This sounds pretty simple! You're sure this is right? :-D
                I own two of these bikes buddy
                I change my own tires. Nuff said...

Comment

Ah, Nice schematic.

BTW: I have to swap sprockets. Is that as simple as it looks?

Comment

Yup. Just make sure you've got the right torque when putting the sprocket nuts back on. I recommend using a bit of thread lock on those nuts, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                      I own two of these bikes buddy
                      I change my own tires. Nuff said...
                      Oh, it's just when it's a simple fix, it's usually not mine. I mostly get the complicated problems.

Nice burn out.

Comment

Oh, it's just when it's a simple fix, it's usually not mine. I mostly get the complicated problems.

Nice burn out.

Here is a tip for you then. When you go to do it. Put your center stand up on a plank. A 2x4 will work but a 2Xsomething.larger is better for stability. This will put her butt up in the air nice and high making it a lot easier to get the wheel out. If you do this you wont have to unbolt the rear of your chain guard or anything. Leaving the axle in is nice because no matter how hard you study the spacer placement or think you have laid them in the right order, when it comes time to put it all back together you always end up grabbin another cold one while going "uhhhhh" and scratching your head. (this is a good way to get grease marks on your head too) This is especially true for someone who doesn't have a service manual. Service manuals are as abundant on eBay as rabbits in spring time. If you like, I have the service manual for these bikes in a PDF file. If you have a place I can upload it I can give it to you. It's large, wont email.

Comment

Geez. That'd be awesome, but I don't know where you could post it...

Wanna burn it to cd and send it to me?:-D [-o< [-o<

Comment

Geez. That'd be awesome, but I don't know where you could post it...

Wanna burn it to cd and send it to me?:-D [-o< [-o<
                            I have the pdf too, and a web server to post it on, which I'll do if I can manage to remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
                              I have the pdf too, and a web server to post it on, which I'll do if I can manage to remember it.
                              Luke, you da man! Thanks buddy

Comment

Working...
                              X