Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hotter plugs for short city driving ???!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotter plugs for short city driving ???!!

Ok ,
    short info first:
    GS 550 L 82' full rebuild..compression 130-140psi on all cylinders..
    coils from GSX 600--almost new.. Air filter cleaned..
    CV carbs vacum sync. done with carbtune.. idle mixture adjusted with colortune few times.. float levels by the book and all cleaned before winter..
    idle set on 1100rpms.

Now the real problem!!!

After 5-6 short rides (starting from cold...choke on for 2-3minutes)
    ussually one of the spark plugs is carbon fouled.. so it needs cleaning. and the same with other spark plugs randomly...
    My friend mechanic advices me to go one range hotter plugs(B7ES) for city driving (short trips) ...I now run recomended B8ES.. he said since it takes a loger time for engine to warm up spark plugs are fouling on older bikes on short trips..specially when choke must be used often..
    I don't have any problems during the weekends rides 20-30 milles per run ...color of the plugs is then very good light to moderate brown..

I usually comute to work on my bike...short trips 3 milles runs in one way ..
    so it makes for aproximately 6-7 milles per day traffic riding..
    It takes 10-15 minutes in the morning and 15-20 minutes when I'm coming back from work..
    Temperatures in the morning 55-60 degrees a little higher when I'm coming back..

Any advices...!!!!

Why does your choke need to be on so long? You should be able to shut it off within 30 - 60 seconds depending on temps. You may need to look for a problem with the idle circuit or simply change your choke habits.

A different spark plug won't make the slightest bit of difference with the fouling problem. This is a widespread and unfortunate misconception -- you might want to find a mechanic who has some idea what he's talking about.

You have to address the cause of the problem, an overly rich condition at idle and low speeds. Super-dee-duper nuclear spark plugs with platinum positronic plasma injectors will foul just as quickly with a mixture problem.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

It isnt a spark plug problem and different spark plugs will not solve the problem.
      You wouldnt go buy bigger shoes if your shirt was too tight would you. LOL
      Your idle circuit mixture is incorrect. When the passageways are clean and the mixture is correct, you should not need choke for more than 5 seconds ...most.
      Your extended use of choke is is fouling your plugs and your need for extended choke use is caused by faulty idle mixture settings.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Also check & make sure you have 12 V at the coil a low voltage could cause a weak spark

Comment

Choke requirement varies, try the plugs

I've had my '83 GS750ES since it was brand new. From the start it's always been a very cold natured $%&*@. I live in Jax, Fl where its been about 70 when I leave in the morning. It takes around 1.5 to 2 miles to get it fully warmed up and the choke fully off. I ride about 14 miles to work so any fouling burns off along the way. I would try your mechanics suggetion first. The hotter plug may take care of the problem. Of course using less choke, if you can or leaning the engine out may also work.

Comment

Working...
          X