Perhaps one answer to my problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps one answer to my problems?

I read a post about carb vent tubes, and found that mine were thoroughly kinked. I've unkinked them and played around a bit.

If I hold the throttle to about 6Krpms for a second and then let go suddenly, the rpms will fall, obviously, but they will often drop down below 1000 and the bike will stall. If I try to start again, it'll crank and crank. I have to wait a little bit, and then try again, and it'll catch weakly, I have to give it a twist of the throttle for it to catch.

Couple this with my hard starts after it's sat for a couple of days and it sure sounds like a fuel starvation problem, but should the unkinking of the vent tubes help at all?

I'm gonna go buy a compression tester as soon as I find out what size adapter I need.

Any idea how to check if the gas cap vent is blocked?

Originally posted by UncleMike

Couple this with my hard starts after it's sat for a couple of days and it sure sounds like a fuel starvation problem, but should the unkinking of the vent tubes help at all?

Could be is your air intake stock?

If I hold the throttle to about 6Krpms for a second and then let go suddenly, the rpms will fall, obviously, but they will often drop down below 1000 and the bike will stall.
    This is a symptom of possible richness, which can be casued by a number of issues- carb, electrical, valves...

The gas cap vent can be taken apart by two small screws on the underside of the cap. If you have any gas in the tank, you can take the tank off the bike, and with the cap on change it's position from horizontal to vertical. You should be able to hear the escape of air as the fuel changes position. Sometimes even rocking the bike back and forth you can hear the "hiss"...
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If you remove your gas cap and find two small screws underneath, then yes, you can take it apart, check the vent and rebuild. If you do this, do it on a bench and very slowly. Also, make a sketch as you take it apart so you'll know how to put it back together once you are done cleaning because there are a few small ball bearings and small screws and stuff in there. Just remove any crud you find in there, clean all the parts with something like a carb cleaner and make sure the ball bearings roll around freely as you re-assemble. Good luck.

Comment

Not sure about the airbox. I know it's stock to one of the GS750's, but not sure about mine. I have the one that came with the T and and extra that came with the L. One has two holes and one has one bigger hole.

Comment

It's definitely from richness then, as the two middle spark plugs were carbon fouled when checked last night.

Comment

It's definitely from richness then, as the two middle spark plugs were carbon fouled when checked last night.
            Mike,

If it is both cylinders 2 and 3 the coil for those cylinders is a likely cause. Try swapping coils to see if the problem moves to cylinders 1 and 4.....................

Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Will do.

Thanks,
              Mike

Comment

yes, unkinking the vent tubes should help.

Try running the bike with the gas cap lightly turned in, but not seated to seal. If the problem remains the same, then it isnt the cap thats at fault.

Earl

Last edited by earlfor; 04-28-2006, 12:30 AM.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Have you made sure the petcock is working properly

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                    Have you made sure the petcock is working properly
                    Sucked on the vacuumtube and gas came out the fuel tube.

Comment

Sounds right to me. You sure you know that bike well enough to be acting that friendly? Lol

Earl

Sucked on the vacuumtube and gas came out the fuel tube.
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                        Sounds right to me. You sure you know that bike well enough to be acting that friendly? Lol

Earl
                        Well, I rode her for about an hour today,...

Comment

Well, I rode her for about an hour today,...
                          Yea...but she died on you.

Comment

lol! (last three posts)
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by beby99
                              Yea...but she died on you.
                              It's happened before, it'll happen again. I just ride 'em too damned hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X