Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 GS1100E - How to disable a battery level sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100E - How to disable a battery level sensor?

Hi All,

I am a new poster here but a long time GS owner. I am hoping someone has the answer to this one. I have a 1982 GS1100EZ. It includes a wire that is supposed to connect to an electrolyte sensor in the battery. When the electrolyte is low, it lights an idiot light on the display.

I need to know how to disable the light without damaging anything. I bought a Westco sealed battery and it does not include the sensor so now the light is always on. Not a huge deal but a minor irritant.

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

Thanks,

Dave

If you aren't scared of opening you gauges, pull the bulb out. It's a bi-otch, but that won't damage a thing. Otherwise, you can find the wire for the lamp in the schematic and clip it near the gauge harness. You can always solder these wires back real easy. There is probalby a way to jumper the sensor, but I always had trouble finding the other end of the loop at that end of the harness.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I don't think I've ever used a battery with a sensor. Rediculous waiste of money. Off with it's head! :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Wingtouring
        Hi All,

I am a new poster here but a long time GS owner. I am hoping someone has the answer to this one. I have a 1982 GS1100EZ. It includes a wire that is supposed to connect to an electrolyte sensor in the battery. When the electrolyte is low, it lights an idiot light on the display.

I need to know how to disable the light without damaging anything. I bought a Westco sealed battery and it does not include the sensor so now the light is always on. Not a huge deal but a minor irritant.

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

Thanks,

Dave

All's the sensor lead does is create a ground when submersed in acid. All I did was ground the lead, and fool the circut into thinking it's in the battery acid. Ground out the sensor lead, and your battery indicator lamp should not light. If not be safe, and do what Jethro suggested. Another neat theory to check each of the 6 battery cells is the use a multimeter: Red lead to positive battery terminal, and stick the black neg. lead down in each cell in the acid, each cell will (should) read 2 volts. 2 volts X 6 cells = 12V battery.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryman
          I don't think I've ever used a battery with a sensor. Rediculous waiste of money. Off with it's head! :shock:
          Hey steve in hot areas the sensor tells lazy people like me to top it off

Comment

Working...
          X