Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 Suzuki : Suzuki GS550L Gas Leak

Hi,

I am interested in this bike. What do you think of the seller description?

The only real negative I can think of is the petcock seeps a little gas and I have dabbed Seal-All on it to try to get it to stop. It would be an easy fix- I just haven't had time to do it. I put an inline fuel valve to shut the gas off when it sits because it will dribble a little out the carb overflow lines. This is common on older bikes even if they have had the carbs rebuilt- and this bike runs so good I haven't wanted to touch the carbs.

Is this serious? He wants $920 for the bike.

Thanks for you replies.

Worst case is a new petcock, maybe $60, less if you buy a good used tap like a Pingel (got mine of E-bay, used, will last forever), even less if you buy an $18 rebuild kit, $4 in fuel line and a few clamp.

Is the rest of the bike worth $900? 1979 550L, I've seen roadworthy ones go for much less...
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

How many miles?

Comment

GS550L Gas Leak

16783 miles. The bike has a windshield, soft saddle bags, new battery, rectifier, backtire and recovered seat. It looks sharp in the photos i've seen of it.

I'll try to attach a picture.

Thank you

Comment

Are the carbs hard to rebuild/clean on the GS550L?

Comment

VM Carbs aren't that hard to rebuild (by rebuild I mean completely separated, soaked, new o-rings etc), you do need a clean space, and patience to organize and mark your pieces, write down you adjustment screw settings, check floats etc. You also need compressed air. But its not that bad if you take your time.

The price seems a little high, but it looks clean, and if you really like the bike, what the heck? Just remember its a pretty old bike and might need more TLC than you might think at first. The nice thing is that basic maintenance is something you CAN do on this bike.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2006, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the information!

Comment

Working...
              X