Throttle cable replacement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle cable replacement!

This is the second post on the cable issue and thanks for the previous responses, they did help!
    I ordered the throttle cable in cycle-re-cycle not in BikeBandit, a few bucks difference.
    When I get it, if the bike hasn't been towed away from my work's parking lot, is there an easy way to install it? I had a hard time just getting the cable out and my Clymer guide says nothing on this or maybe I didn't look in the right place.
    I looked in this forum for previous posts and something that seems to be a routine job is not found easily.
    jrs

What was particularly difficult about removing the old one?

It's a pretty simple mechanism that most mechanics can understand just by looking at it, so the manual sort of glosses over the details.

If you can give us an idea of what might not be making sense to you, that might be helpful in getting you unjammed.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The easiest way to attach to the carb end is to open the throttle all the way (on the carbs). This gives you better access to insert the end of the cable into the hole on the actuator.

It's a bit tricky and a pain (especially for my blind old a$$). If all else fails, remove the carbs.

Comment

Hook the carb end up first,

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback.
          What did I do? well, I decided to ride the choke all the way home. Didn't feel like renting a uhaul or waiting for the replacement cable.
          It is not an easy task but It can be done. For more than 15 miles I used the choke to move the bike stalling a few times, never made it past 3rd gear on flats, only got to 5th downhill once. I guess the clutch suffered a lot with this stunt as it achieved speed with the clutch level half way.
          Now the dilema is to replace the throttle cable once is here. The main problem I had was to get the cable thru the grove then pulling the end out in such a confined space. I guess because it was hot. Lets see when its clean and cold.

Comment

Working...
          X