Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing fuel line fittings between carbs

Hi,
    I am new here and enjoy the wealth of knowledge there is here,I have a 1979 gs1000L that has the unreplacable fuel line fittings between the carbs.
    Does anyone know if there is anyway to purchase these or do I have to use bubble gum?
    I have been looking and noticed there are none around.

Thanks, Kirk

Whats wrong with your fittings?

Comment

I dont believe those fittings are manufactured anymore. There are a few options. You can watch ebay and hope some turn up. You can find a salvage yard and look for a 77 to 79 GS of any model as those years had aluminum fuel T's that used "O" rings. (later years used press fit plastic T's) or you can try wrapping your leaking fuel T ends with about 3 wraps of teflon tape. Sometimes, that will be just enough to stop it from leaking.

Earl

Originally posted by persing
      Hi,
      I am new here and enjoy the wealth of knowledge there is here,I have a 1979 gs1000L that has the unreplacable fuel line fittings between the carbs.
      Does anyone know if there is anyway to purchase these or do I have to use bubble gum?

Thanks, Kirk
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You can also champher the carbside of the fitting just a little & put an O ring on the tube It will squish & seal when assembled

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          I dont believe those fittings are manufactured anymore. There are a few options. You can watch ebay and hope some turn up. You can find a salvage yard and look for a 77 to 79 GS of any model as those years had aluminum fuel T's that used "O" rings. (later years used press fit plastic T's) or you can try wrapping your leaking fuel T ends with about 3 wraps of teflon tape. Sometimes, that will be just enough to stop it from leaking.

Earl
          Earl You got it backwards the older 77-79 used the plastic coated T
          80 up used the type with replacable O ring. IFALL ELSE FAILS you can send the part to www.motorcyclecarbs.com & they will make you a new one around $40

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            80 up used the type with replacable O ring. IFALL ELSE FAILS you can send the part to www.motorcyclecarbs.com & they will make you a new one around $40
            You may both be right. My 77 has the aluminum connectors with orings but my 78 and 79 have the plastic connectors. They are all 750's so maybe it varies from model to model.

Comment

I have some of them in various lengths. What are the length of yours?

Comment

Originally posted by persing
                Hi,

Thanks, Kirk
                You might be able to soak the o-rings in brake fluid for a few weeks. Many times this expands and softens up the rubber. Also give this guy a jingle:

A very smart, and easy guy to deal with.

Comment

Gald you caught me Lynn. :-) You're not the first person to tell me I'm backwards. LOL I do remember my 79 750 as having the aluminum T's that used "O" rings though. Go figger.

Earl

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl did you have smooth bores on your 750 ??

Comment

Proceeding with teardown

Thank you everyone,I will now proceed with the full teardown of the carb assembly knowing there is a better solution than bubble gum.I will keep in touch if I have any problems.

Kirk

Comment

Here's a link to the o-ring fix if you have the T's with the molded rubber. Did mine last year and they're still working just fine. You'll have to scroll dowm a bit to find it.
                        This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

No, just the stock VM's.

Earl

Earl did you have smooth bores on your 750 ??

Comment

So what exactly do you need?? o-rings? or the T-fitting? or both?

Comment

Working...
                            X