Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new member with a problem...

Hi all...

I am new to this forum. I just picked up an 83 gs550something. I believe it's an "e" or an "es". Actually, it was my girlfriend who bought it, after I looked at it and told her it was worth the $200 the guy was asking even if she parted it out. She is just taking her MSF course now and wanted a really cheap bike to start with, being she is a single mom with a limited income. I have a well equipped shop/garage to cover all the mechanics and painting, so I volunteered the labor. I have to confess....I edged her into buying it, when she could have gotten a decent running bike for a bit more. I just felt this bike was worth saving....and would make her an excellent starter bike with style.

Here is a pic of the bike as it arrived in it's new home. This was 8 days ago. Since then it was tore down 100% except for the engine. The frame was sanblasted and repainted, as well as swingarm and every other part that could be blasted. All painted in silver and black. Engine repainted as well as the rim painted and the lips polished.
    It was in great shape for the year, except for the fact that the previous owner is guilty of neglect. He stuck it in a shed after he quit riding it a year and a half ago. The tank was shot. Loaded with rust inside and patched up underneath. I managed to score one on ebay for decent price. The tires were put on new just before he put it away, and they seem ok. It need a new chain.
    NOW....here is the setback. The carbs.....one is decent....the other, well...the float bowl is broken. A corner of it fell right off. One solid piece...so if worse comes to worse, I could have it welded. However the inside of it is nothing but rust. So please....if anyone can direct me to a source where I might find a set of carbs, it would be greatly appreciated. They are the wierd ones....2 carbs for 4 cylinders. I think you call them dual throat.

So, that's it. I hope to learn alot here, and willing to share my knowlege and experience as well. And hopefully make some new aquaintences.

And here it is ... my lady's ride. This is the before picture. I would like to properly indentify it. Now it is partially re-assembled. Have tons of pics through the process. I am hoping to post the "after" pic quite soon.
    A set of carbs would help with that.

Best bet is Ebay they were a 1-2 year only carb so it maybe hard to find

Comment

Thats a GS550EF. I've a couple of these bikes and they are under appreciated. When they are on the road they are an excellent ride albeit with a couple of quirks. Get it to around 7,000rpm and it starts to get interesting. It's big enough to be comfortable on long trips and small enough for commuting!

Rather than spend the cash on new carbs I'd suggest stripping the old ones down and giving them a good cleaning as the rust is probably from the tank and you may get lucky and not need to spend anything apart from buying carb cleaner. Besides there's no guarantees that the used pair of carbs you buy are up to scratch, been there got the t shirt!

You can patch the float bowl up pro tem and if the carbs are servicable after you cleaned them then I've loads of spare float bowls you can have one for the cost of the postage from here in the UK.

When reassembling be sure to put the jets back in the correct holes as the inner pair of jets are different from the outer pair!

Comment

If you just need one bowl, call the guys at www.motorcyclecarbs.com. They have been able to get me some pretty obscure parts.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Big N daft
          Thats a GS550EF. I've a couple of these bikes and they are under appreciated. When they are on the road they are an excellent ride albeit with a couple of quirks. Get it to around 7,000rpm and it starts to get interesting. It's big enough to be comfortable on long trips and small enough for commuting!

Rather than spend the cash on new carbs I'd suggest stripping the old ones down and giving them a good cleaning as the rust is probably from the tank and you may get lucky and not need to spend anything apart from buying carb cleaner. Besides there's no guarantees that the used pair of carbs you buy are up to scratch, been there got the t shirt!

You can patch the float bowl up pro tem and if the carbs are servicable after you cleaned them then I've loads of spare float bowls you can have one for the cost of the postage from here in the UK.

When reassembling be sure to put the jets back in the correct holes as the inner pair of jets are different from the outer pair!

Thanks for the offer on the bowl. I will remember this if I fail to find another or the fix doesn't hold. Also, can you tell me if I am stuck with these carbs, or is it possible to put another set on with an adaptor plate or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
            Thanks for the offer on the bowl. I will remember this if I fail to find another or the fix doesn't hold. Also, can you tell me if I am stuck with these carbs, or is it possible to put another set on with an adaptor plate or something?
            Anything's possible, whether it's practicable is another thing. These bikes have a pretty unusual carb set up and I don't know of any alternative carbs that could be made to fit, you could get involved in designing some kind of frankenstein set up but you need to ask you self whether it's worth it for a $200 bike. With a bit of luck and some effort cleaning the carbs, you'll have a runner. First step is to prove that the carbs you have need replacing. Cleaning them thoroughly won't take that long and you could well be surprised.

If they need replacing then Ebay is a good source, certainly in Europe there are GS550 carbs up for auction at regular periods you can drop on auctions where you pay literally cents for the carbs and the only costs is shipping, which, even from over here, needn't be prohibitive!. The problem with used carbs is that you still have to go through the clean and rebuild process unless you buy from a dealer who has done that but you'll pay a premium for it.

Get them cleaned and rebuilt and let us know how you get on and you'll get the best advice possible

Comment

Working...
            X