No announcement yet.

to tube or not to tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A stock, unmodified spoked wheel requires a tube. A stock unmodified "mag" wheel should have stamped on it somewhere "Tube-type" or "Tubeless".
    I think in most instances, if I were in a bind, I'd not have much heartburn over using a tube in a wheel that said "tubeless", if the situation was such that I couldn't get the tire to hold air for whatever reason. At the first opportunity, I'd repair whatever caused the tire to not hold air, and I'd get the tube back out of there.
    I'd be almost willing to bet that a wheel that was stamped "Tube-type" means.. "This wheel is not designed to hold a tubeless tire, it will leak". On the converse, I suspect that a wheel that is stamped "Tubeless" means that it IS designed for use without a tube, but that it will work fine with one if you desire.
    As for the reasons that folks do or don't put tubes into wheels that are designed for use without them... I suspect they're as varied as the people that own bikes. My preference is to not use a tube if I don't have to.

Comment

What if the wheels aren't marked "Tubeless" nor "Use Tubes"? Is there a tire we can use on unmarked wheels?
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Sorry, I apologize !!!
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I'd look really hard at what was installed when it came to me. To my way of thinking... a "mag" wheel should be capable of holding a tubeless tire with no problems, assuming a pull-in valve stem is mounted already, or can be mounted.
          I worked in an automotive garage for a few years after high school doing nothing but breaking down and mounting tires. If the wheel was absolutely intended for a tube to be installed, the hole through the wheel would not allow a pull-in tubeless valve stem, without modifying the hole. That's always been my guide... if I can get a standard pull-in valve stem to pop in and lock in the wheel without modifying the hole, it will accept a tubeless tire without problem.
          All that goes to say this... a tubeless wheel will allow for a tube to be installed, a tube-only wheel will NOT allow a tubeless installation.

Comment

No apologies necessary... at least not for my peace of mind I was typing away a reply, and got caught on a phone call or I'd have gotten an answer back already..

Comment

Working...
            X