Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to tube or not to tube

Hey Folks:

I'm finally gettin' around to mounting my new tires on my 80' GS1100. I took the old one off the back and to my surprise a "tube" was in it. The rim (on the inside) is a mess....looks like someone used some type of sticky sealant in the past. Do I have to use Tubes for my tires????

I thought all mags were tubless??

I run tubes to be safe, but it's possible that you would be fine without. There was controversy at the time that mag rims would leak air to quickly. Your wheels my be stamped "tubeless" on the side. Interestingly, my 81 1100E has the "tubless" stamp on the rim, but my 83 1100 wheels do not. The shops I have brought my tire in to change always tell me that if there was a tube in there, another one will go back in- always.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

thanks jethro

Yeah, since I think I would have to spend a great deal of time to clean all the gunk out of the beading area, I'm gonna go back with tubes.

Comment

What's the norm for spoke wheels. My tires are tubeless, but that doesn't mean there aren't any in there.

Comment

Hi BB, Check out Earls comments on the subject. Do a thread search. He's right on on this. You do not need tubes. I've been tubless since January no air loss yet. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
            I run tubes to be safe, but it's possible that you would be fine without. There was controversy at the time that mag rims would leak air to quickly. Your wheels my be stamped "tubeless" on the side. Interestingly, my 81 1100E has the "tubless" stamp on the rim, but my 83 1100 wheels do not. The shops I have brought my tire in to change always tell me that if there was a tube in there, another one will go back in- always.
            My '82 came with tubes stock also. I was kinda surprised also. If you look at the design of the cast wheel, there is no machined surface provision for a "pull through" tubless valve stem. I look at tubes as slightly more puncture resistance, not "hindering performance" like some guys think. (just my opinion)

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
              My '82 came with tubes stock also. I was kinda surprised also. If you look at the design of the cast wheel, there is no machined surface provision for a "pull through" tubless valve stem. I look at tubes as slightly more puncture resistance, not "hindering performance" like some guys think. (just my opinion)
              While tubes may provide an extra measure of puncture resistance, a tire with a tube in it will deflate much faster than a tubeless tire once it is punctured. I enlarged the valve stem holes and filed the inside surfaces flat to accept either pull-through or metal valve stems. I've been running tubeless tires on my '83 1100E for close to twenty years with no problems whatsoever. Earl took a much more scientific and methodical approach and came up with no reason why tubeless tires should pose a problem. Shops will not mount a tubeless tire on a tube type rim for legal reasons. If Earl and I both do it it must be okay! \\/

***************EDIT******************

Plus, a tubeless tire can be plugged to get you back on the road while a tube type tire must have the tube replaced before you're on the road again.

Thanks,
              Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Spokes ALWAYS require a tube

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                  Spokes ALWAYS require a tube
                  Wheel Works can convert spoked rims to tubeless tires for $59.00 per wheel.

Comment

Replace?

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                    ...Plus, a tubeless tire can be plugged to get you back on the road while a tube type tire must have the tube replaced before you're on the road again....
                    To get back on the road with a tubeless tire you need a plug kit and a source of air, i.e., compressor. To get back on the road with a tube tire (without patching) you need a sealant such as Slime or a latex tire repair product and a provision for air pressure. Patching can be done as a last resort.

Neither a tubeless plug or a tube sealant or patch is considered a permanent repair. In the case of a tubeless tire, it must be replaced to regain original integrity (or have a tube added). In the case of a tube tire, replacing the tube will usually allow the tire to be reused without concern.

Comment

A spoked wheel requires a tube. Air will blow out the spokes faster than you can put it in without a tube. LOL well, maybe not quite that fast, but you get the idea. eheh

Earl

Originally posted by Billyboy
                      What's the norm for spoke wheels. My tires are tubeless, but that doesn't mean there aren't any in there.
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

This post says it all. I need to check what my rims say. I have tubeless tires to mount. Thinking about buying some metal valve stems and going tubeless. Will prep the rims first to make a good seal.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

For those that are unaware of the Dirt Biking world, there are off road emergency tire repair kits that include patches (for tubes) and plugs (for tubleless) as well as compressed CO2 cylinders with valve stem adapters. You can get these at most off road bike shops or www.motorcyclesuperstore.com is a good source. Everyone should keep one of these kits in/on their bike. It will save you a lot of frustration....

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                            A spoked wheel requires a tube. Air will blow out the spokes faster than you can put it in without a tube. LOL well, maybe not quite that fast, but you get the idea. eheh

Earl
                            Maybe you didn't see my post on page 1.

Originally posted by Boondocks
                            Wheel Works can convert spoked rims to tubeless tires for $59.00 per wheel.

Comment

Metal valve stems are $5 a pair at Advance Auto. I look today after I remove the dry rotted tires and I have not stamp that says tubeless on my rims. Looks like I'm going tubeless.

Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X