Simple carb swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple carb swap question

Hello everyone. First post, longtime reader.
    I have two 81 650g models; one that I tried to restore (long story-oil leak from head), one running bike purchased last fall to ride. My running bike is currently dripping gas out of #4 carb and thus will need cleaned, float adjusted, etc.
    My question is if I switch carb banks from old parts 650 to new running 650 will I have to adjust air screws (pilot) to new running 650 requirements. The old carbs still have the factory plugs over the pilot screws. What I want to know is are the carbs adjusted to each individual motor at the factory or to a set standard?
    The parts bikes carbs were cleaned and went over last year and the motor ran well (still leaking oil from head though) so I could save myself some ride time with a simple swap.
    I have had difficulties in adjusting pilot jet screw position by ear and would like to bypass that step if possible. Thankyou in advance. Keep up the good work.

I have had swapped many carb sets out before, and i have never had any problems. You should be fine swapping them out.
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Sync

You will have to synchronize the carbs and adjust the pilot screws. Each bike is different so the carbs will not be tuned to that particular motor.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

That is what I had figured. It probably would run without adjusting the pilot screws but for best performance, I will need to tune them. I was sure I would have to synch them. Thanks again.
        Later when I have time to write I will describe my many troubles with the oil leaking 650...

Comment

Carbs should work fine on either engine, as long as they have the same intake & exaust systems. If one engine has a 4 into 1 exaust, & pod filters, & the other has stock exaust & original air box & filter, the carbs will run, but won't run right.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

That is not a problem, both 650s are bone stock. I just wanted to know since the nonrunning bikes carbs still have the plugs covering the pilot screws and I will have to drill them out. Not a big deal, just extra work.
            It is kind of interesting in that the valve cover bolt pattern is different between the two bikes. After checking the vin sticker, I discovered they were built in consecutive months. Must have been the end of the earlier 81 design and beginning of the newer designed valve covers. Again, I don't think it should affect the carbs.
            Tonight I went over the old carbs and checked float height, slides, and jets to make sure they were okay. Hopefully, tomorrow I can pull the new and replace the old. I will then rebuild the new with o rings and do it again--yeah...

Comment

Working...
            X