1981 GS550 w/750 motor inquiring stock Muffler and sprokets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS550 w/750 motor inquiring stock Muffler and sprokets

I recently purchased a 1981 GS550 that has a 750 motor and I am looking to replace the mod mufflers back to stock mufflers and was also wondering if anyone knew what the stock front and back sprokets sizes should be?

Got some pictures of that thing?

Reason is that the GS 750 is a much larger engine than the 550 that came out of that frame. You would need some serious frame mods to get it to fit. The GSXR/Katana/Bandit 750 would be a much easier fit in that frame. I would like to see a pic of it to tell what engine is in there.

This will also help us to determine what kind of exhaust and sprockets to recommend for you. We need to know this because technically there is no "stock" exhaust and sprocket sizes for a custom like this....

Comment

DITTO you would have to cut the frame- install the engine & weld the frame back together

Comment

I would be afraid to ride that thing unless I did the welding!!!

Comment

Here are the pictures..

Comment

I'll get the engine ID number tonight.

Comment

Eh, It's probably a 750 with some 550 side covers on it. what does the engine serial number say? What does the frame VIN say?

Comment

I'll get both the frame and engine ID's tonight and post.

Comment

The side covers I know say GS750L

Comment

That pic is pretty small. Any chance you could post the full size file, or get a closer pic?

I would agree that it looks like a GS750L. It also looks like it has the 8" headlight from a later bike. I wonder if someone pulled a "Scotty" and put 550 emblems on the sidecovers?

The VIN sticker should have more info, as well as the engine ID. It looks like you have a very solid bike there. Good riding project...

Comment

I'm not sure. As for a pic, that's the best I have for right now. Unless the title is messed up, the title states as well that it is a GS550.

Comment

What does the title say?

Comment

Wow, that's wierd... It looks like a 750 to me though, it could have just been titled wrong in the past. The VIN will tell all though.
                          1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy
                            I would be afraid to ride that thing unless I did the welding!!!
                            I would be afraid to ride it IF I did the welding 8-[ !

Comment

I'm now pretty positive that it's a 750. The 550 did not have the cast aluminum piece for the passenger pegs. The 550 had steel triangles that were part of the frame.

I think your title has a typo, and you got a better deal than you thought!

Comment

Working...
                              X