No Ignition of Gas Cap Keys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Ignition of Gas Cap Keys!

Part of the perk of getting my 82 GS450L was it came without a key. I've been able to crank it via hotwiring to make sure it works and to ride it around a bit. I removed the key cylinder and took it to Gainesville Motorsports, which at the time was the only Suzuki dealer around here, from what I was told. After a fiasco that took over a month to get the correct blanks in, they cut four keys off from the code on the side of the ignition and none of them would work. Mismarking or ineptitude? I don't know.

So now I'm about to get my bike up on the road and can't open the gas tank!

So how can I get my tank open without having the key? And if I end up having to replace the unit, how do I remove it without a key?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2006, 06:02 PM. Reason: -mispell-

A locksmith can make keys from the key code. It sounds like the Suzuki people were incompetent. The locksmith should be able to fix you up with keys that work, and he will also be able to remove the gas cap without a key.

Comment

I would sugest taking the ign switch to a local locksmith

Comment

Originally posted by Ludeykrus
        Part of the perk of getting my 82 GS450L was it came without a key. I've been able to crank it via hotwiring to make sure it works and to ride it around a bit. I removed the key cylinder and took it to Gainesville Motorsports, which at the time was the only Suzuki dealer around here, from what I was told. After a fiasco that took over a month to get the correct blanks in, they cut four keys off from the code on the side of the ignition and none of them would work. Mismarking or ineptitude? I don't know.

So now I'm about to get my bike up on the road and can't open the gas tank!

So how can I get my tank open without having the key? And if I end up having to replace the unit, how do I remove it without a key?
        Are you in Gainesville, GA? If so I know a locksmith that can make you a key.

Allen

Comment

Originally posted by katoranger
          Are you in Gainesville, GA? If so I know a locksmith that can make you a key.

Allen
          Close enough, Oakwood! The Suzuki guys I hit up were Gainesville Motorsports (which along w/ my two buddies experiences, I cannot recommend them anymore...).

Hit me up on here or PM's if this board has them, if not then BergerBoy@charter.net

Thanks bud! 8-)

Comment

open the gas tank..

does your bike have a cover that is locked or is it a locking gas cap???

If it is a cover then you might be able to remove the tank and use a screwdriver to push in the latch and pop it open to access the cap... then just remove the lock until keys are replaced.. and it does sound like they were incapable of cutting keys.. a local locksmith in Dallas.. wanted $15 a key to cut it from the lock code.. any locksmith that deals with cars could use a blank and hand cut the key to match the lock .. if it is a locking gas cap then this will not help of course./.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludeykrus
              Close enough, Oakwood! The Suzuki guys I hit up were Gainesville Motorsports (which along w/ my two buddies experiences, I cannot recommend them anymore...).

Hit me up on here or PM's if this board has them, if not then BergerBoy@charter.net

Thanks bud! 8-)
              I sent you a PM.

I have not heard positive things about that place either. I usually go to Athens.

Allen

Comment

Working...
              X