Fork Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Brace

Ok my bike does not have a fork brace on it and I was wondering if I should get one for it. I figure that its purpose is the stiffen up the front end to add stability or something. But does it make a big difference to ride without one?

Thanks

Originally posted by akreider
    Ok my bike does not have a fork brace on it and I was wondering if I should get one for it. I figure that its purpose is the stiffen up the front end to add stability or something. But does it make a big difference to ride without one?

Thanks
    A properly installed fork brake doesn't stiffen the suspension vertical movement, but connects the forks to prevent lateral flexing. The forks on the older bikes were long and not as robust as newer bikes. They are more subject to flexing when a load is placed on them as in cornering. I noticed a big difference in the feel right away when I put mine on. It does make the bike feel more stable and planted.

It might be hard to find a new fork brace now for these old bikes, but you might find a used one.

Comment

A German company called Telefix still makes fork braces for most GS models, and you can get them in the US through a company called Spec II for $129.95:
      spec II, expansion, chambers, sprockets, tuning, motorcycles, handlebars, bearings, bushings, swingarm, reed, cages, fairing, chassis, clip-ons, clutch, kit, coils, RD, RZ, RZ350, RD350, RZ350, RD400, Daytona, Yamaha, steering, damper, brake, discs, engine, parts, fenders, carbs, carburators, flatslides, Mikuni, jets, main, Kawasaki, handgrips, buttons, Honda, Kawasaki, Hawk, brake, lines, stainless, steel, braided, pads, piston, powerjets, rearsets, porting, crank, work, shocks, Fox, slip-ons, YSR50

I would say that a fork brace would be the finishing touch to a thoroughly optimized suspension -- the final step after upgraded shock(s), fork springs, fork oil (you'll have to experiment with different weights), proper setup (THE most important step), and possibly Race Tech Gold Valves in the fork.

With simple updates and proper setup, GS suspensions can be quite good -- light-years better than the usual sad state you see of sagged, worn-out shocks and fork springs. At that point, it's time to think about a fork brace.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
        A German company called Telefix still makes fork braces for most GS models, and you can get them in the US through a company called Spec II for $129.95:
        spec II, expansion, chambers, sprockets, tuning, motorcycles, handlebars, bearings, bushings, swingarm, reed, cages, fairing, chassis, clip-ons, clutch, kit, coils, RD, RZ, RZ350, RD350, RZ350, RD400, Daytona, Yamaha, steering, damper, brake, discs, engine, parts, fenders, carbs, carburators, flatslides, Mikuni, jets, main, Kawasaki, handgrips, buttons, Honda, Kawasaki, Hawk, brake, lines, stainless, steel, braided, pads, piston, powerjets, rearsets, porting, crank, work, shocks, Fox, slip-ons, YSR50

I would say that a fork brace would be the finishing touch to a thoroughly optimized suspension -- the final step after upgraded shock(s), fork springs, fork oil (you'll have to experiment with different weights), proper setup (THE most important step), and possibly Race Tech Gold Valves in the fork.

With simple updates and proper setup, GS suspensions can be quite good -- light-years better than the usual sad state you see of sagged, worn-out shocks and fork springs. At that point, it's time to think about a fork brace.
        Thanks for the link. The Telefix is the fork brace that I have and I can recommend it highly. I also agree with your comments about upgrading the suspension. The fork brace was the last upgrade that I made after putting on the Marzocchi Symbol shocks, Progressive Suspension springs, and new fork seals and fork oil. My bike handles surprisingly well with this setup, and is controllable and forgiving beyond what should be expected from a 26 year old motorcycle. With the suspension upgrades, I think it handles better now than when it was new.

Comment

Working...
        X