Removing Valve Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Valve Cover

I am going to be painting my engine and to make it easier I am going to remove it from the bike. In the factory manual I have it says to remove the engine I have to take off the valve cover to make some clearance. So I unbolted the cover and took off the end caps and it is still on there extremly tight. So I want to ask you guys if it would be wise to tap on it with a wooden block or something?

I figure it is better to take a few minutes and find out then break it and spend over a week and lots of cash to replace it. Also it is possble to salvage the current gasket given that it does not rip or get damaged in the removal?

Thanks

I would consider it a good time to replace the gasket. It is probably going to tear if you have to tap it to get it loose.

If you are sure you removed all the bolts holding the cover on then a light tap with a wooden hammer handle might work.

Comment

You need to take off the chain housing/breather cover (part with hose attached) first. Then the rest of the valve cover. YOu can tap the cover with a rubber mallet if it's stuck. Sometimes the wiring gets in the way and you have to push it up out of the way.

There was no need to remove the end caps. I've re-used my gasket about 5 times, but I just ordered a new one since it started to leak.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2006, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace
        You need to take off the chain housing/breather cover (part with hose attached) first. Then the rest of the valve cover. YOu can tap the cover with a rubber mallet if it's stuck. .

Not true. it's not necessary to remove the breather cover.
        1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Get yourself a Real Gasket silicone valve cover gasket:

$25 and you'll never need to buy another and you'll never have a leak.

With shipping and a matching breather cover gasket, it's a measly $38-$40. Read and follow the instructions -- very light torque, install completely dry, and wash it in dish soap and hot water and pat dry before reinstalling.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

valve cover

I just pulled my valve cover today on an 80 850G. Took off the breather cover and the horns. Had to push all the wiring up inside the frame and it was still a tight fit. I had to tap mine with a rubber mallet to get it loose. Make sure all the bolts are out. On the 850 if you lift the cover clear of the cam chain and twist the cover to the right, viewed from the right side of the bike it will give you little more room to get the cover out. Hope this helps.
            80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle
              Not true. it's not necessary to remove the breather cover.
              This may depend on model - you pretty much have to follow this proceedure with an 850.

Comment

Working...
              X