Charging system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging system

I own a 1979 gs 1000, have recently developed a problem with keeping the battery charged, I have a combination rectifier/voltage regulator. I am putting out about 12.8 volts which will not keep my battery charged. The bike will run all day after it is started. I can check the stator, but feel that the problem is in the rectifier/voltage regulator.
    Should I check the system or just gamble on the rectifier/regulator? I can get this unit for around $50.00, but if I have a stator problem what is the cost for a work around? I think I l have seen on some threads that there is a replacement that is better than the original, and if this is true what is the cost of the better unit?

Thanx

Read the "Stator Papers" in the "In the Garage" section of this website. Many of us (myself included) have suffered from the no-charge situation. Many of us (myself included) only had to clean/renew or cut/solder the connections in the charging system wiring to solve the problem. I was also counselled to run a ground wire direct from the negative terminal of the battery to the RR mounting bolt to better ground it. I've had no further problems these past five years.

Comment

I just went through the charging system issue on my 1980 gs850. Before you replace the parts, check the ground for the reg/rec. It comes factory grounded to the bottom of the battery box and if there's a bad connection, it won't charge. I rerouted directly to the neg terminal and fixed the problem without buying any parts. Did this with the help of the Stator Papers and my Clymer manual. Good luck.

Comment

Charging System

Thankx as soon as I get a couple of hours free time I'm going to tackle it.
        Just came off a week's vacation, re-roofed my garage, plus a lot of honey do's. Got to ride a little on Sunday before I had to return to work.

Comment

Working...
        X