Center right, and right cylinder, not firing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center right, and right cylinder, not firing

I have had my 1981 GS850GL for about 3 years now. 11k miles. When I first bought the bike all it had been sitting in a garage for about 2 years. I cleaned the carbs, changed the oil and got it running for a year. A problem has arised since then.

The bike has 4 into 2 exhaust. One pipe on left for left 2 cylinders, one pipe for right 2 cylindars. The problem I am having, is almost like the 2 right hand cylindars have fouled plugs. There is no heat on the right side. In first gear, sometimes it seems like all 4 are firing properly untill around 3k rpms, then you can hear the right 2 cylendars cut out (no power, but rideable). Other times the right 2 cyl fire sparatically and kick in and full power.

I have had the carbs apart looked at the vacuum slides and needles and diaphragms seem intact, floats float and are properly set, needle valves OK.

I had the carbs balanced, cleaned the plugs (were wet & black on 3 & 4), and checked for spark (seemed fine). Air filter needs replaced.

Am I missing anything horribly obvious to anyone else? Please help.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2006, 01:01 PM.

You might try actually putting in new plugs. I have had plugs that looked usable not fire right, even after I cleaned them.
    Also use a volt meter to make sure that the coils are working properly. You can put a timing light on the plug wires to see if there is current going through, and if those are not hitting right make sure that the CDis is good, and that all the wiring in between is in good shape.
    I hope this might help!

Comment

about the plugs, I was looking in my clymer manual, and noticed they said something about getting hotter plugs. What can I ask for at the outo shop that will get me a hotter plug?

Comment

That might mean a wider gap, but you'd have to ask someone who knows a little more than I. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X