Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O-ring chain removal without wrecking it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O-ring chain removal without wrecking it.

I'm trying to salvage the O-ring chain off my parts bike and put it on my good bike. But I can't seem to find a way to remove and replace without taking the swingarm off.

Is it a big deal to r & r the swingarm? Will I mess something up?

you have to take the swingarm off.
    Pull the lower bolts on each shock, then the swingarm bolt. It should swing out and you can slide the chain thru
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Remove it..

you will need a chain breaker to adjust chain if the sprockets are smaller than the parts bike... and a bad used chain will ruin new sprokets and vice versa bad sprokets ruin a new chain.. you can get replacement o-ring master links that either clip on or rivet on.. the chain breaker will help with the rivet setup..

Comment

chain replacement

I seriously need to replace the chain on my 550L and It doesnt tell me anywhere what size chain to buy, if any body knows, I would appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by maverick9331
          I seriously need to replace the chain on my 550L and It doesnt tell me anywhere what size chain to buy, if any body knows, I would appreciate it
          You don't say whether you've got a 16 valve or 8 valve but I think they're both 530's

Contacting any decent parts supplier and giving them your bikes year and model should be enough for them to get you the correct size chain!

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy
            I'm trying to salvage the O-ring chain off my parts bike and put it on my good bike. But I can't seem to find a way to remove and replace without taking the swingarm off.

Is it a big deal to r & r the swingarm? Will I mess something up?

Most all bikes come with an "endless" staked chain from the factory. When you buy a new chain you have the option of using a clip style master link, or a rivet link. You need a special tool to properly install the rivet link. As an option, to removing your swingarm, you can grind the pin nubs off of one link, separate the plate, then simply buy a clip style masterlink.

Comment

Success!

Thanks guys.
              It was a bugger to pull the swing arm out of the parts bike. I had to drift the bole, but it was pie on my bike.

I transferred the sprockets from the parts bike too, so I shouldn't have any problems.

I'm sure getting to know my bike well in the week I've been working on it.

Comment

Working...
              X