Do I need a jetting kit or just a mixture adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need a jetting kit or just a mixture adjustment

When removing the air box and putting on individual air filters for the carbs my bike just goes haywire above 2000 RPM's and everywhere above that. Do I need to adjust the mixture on my CV carbs or get a better jetting kit. I'm kinda real low on cash..this is why I ask!

Oh yeah...1980 GS 450L W/twin Minuki B36 Carbs.

Both synched, and cleaned to flawless perfection.

Originally posted by jrciamacco
    When removing the air box and putting on individual air filters for the carbs my bike just goes haywire above 2000 RPM's and everywhere above that. Do I need to adjust the mixture on my CV carbs or get a better jetting kit. I'm kinda real low on cash..this is why I ask!

When you remove the airbox and install individual pods you need to change the jetting, how much is a good question, but in general you need to alter them by about 2 sizes larger for pods.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jrciamacco

Go up a couple of sizes like he said on the mains and raise your needles up a little ( Use shims ). You may have to work with your pilot jet as well.

Shouldn't cost much because you are only doing a couple of carbs.

Comment

i'm doing the same.. i was told to go with a 130 main jet... and shim the needles

i'm also uping the pilot to a 30. from a 17.5 no idea if it will help or not.. but 30 is the smallest pilot jet i can find that will fit...

Comment

jrcia....I suggest going back to the stock air box on a smaller motor. You'll lose some low/mid-range torque which hurts a smaller motors powerband.
          You'll need to change three jetting circuits if you decide to go on. Main, jet needle and pilot circuits. Pilot and primary air jets to consider too. Maybe even different piston/diaphragm assembly springs too? If your model is U.S., you'll need to shim the needles.
          Lot of trial and error possibly. Hope you have patience.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS450L
            i'm doing the same.. i was told to go with a 130 main jet... and shim the needles

i'm also uping the pilot to a 30. from a 17.5 no idea if it will help or not.. but 30 is the smallest pilot jet i can find that will fit...
            The 30 pilot jet is too big and you'll have problems. Sooty plugs and less gas mileage to start with.
            If you can't get the correct/better pilot jet, then I suggest (for the pilot circuit) trying to richen the mixture screw settings first and test. If you get poor results by the time the screws are as much as 4 turns out, then you're beyond their range of effect and will need a larger pilot jet. But 30 is too big. 20 is what you want.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS450L
              Also, not sure what problem you're having in finding the correct pilot jet, but you can't install a longer or shorter jet or one with a significantly different hole design/pattern. Get the correct jet or don't bother.

Comment

Working...
              X