1980 GS750 Cleaning CV Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS750 Cleaning CV Carbs

I am cleaning my carbs for the first time. I believe I need to replace the gaskets and o-rings. All of the slide diaphragms appear to be fine. Is there anything else I should plan on replacing while I have it down?

Also the original owner had the air screen 3 full turns out. The plugs all looked good though. What is the recommended starting place for the air screws?

Any upfront advice would also be greatly appreciated.

Also, I need to know of a good place to order the parts that is reasonable with good quick service.

Thanks,
    David
    1980 GS750E

One last thing. I have one air adjustment screew that is stuck. I have worked with it trying to get it out but it will not give. It looks like the only way is to use an ease out. Where can I get a new Air Adjustment screw?

Thanks,
    David

Comment

David,

I ordered carb kits from here for the same bike. $17.50 each 3.00 shipping. Came via USPS in about 6 days. They include new Air Screws in the kit. If the air screws are stuck, good chance you'll want to remove and clean the pilot jets. Get some PB Blast.... It's great stuff. The kits I ordered were K&L brand.

Greg

Comment

Greg,

Thanks for the reply. They are out of the $17.50 kits but now have some $25 kits. I will most likely bite the bullet and pay the price. I really only need one air screw but 4 gaskets. If you know where to get just the gaskets at a lower price that would be great.

Thanks,
        David

Comment

Dave,

MikesXS.com sells carburetor parts for 1980-84 Yamaha XS650s, and some of those carb parts interchange with my GS850 carbs. For example, I just ordered viton float needles and their seats (with o-rings) for $10 each from him and used them on my GS850. The parts that that I am (mostly) confident will interchange include:

-bowl gaskets
          -floats
          -passage plugs

They also sell a wide range of jets if needed.

Of course, with your GS750, things may be different. It may be that nothing crosses over, or it may be that the XS650 used the exact same Mikunis that the GS750 used. If so, they do sell a bunch of other individual carb parts that you can get, including pilot screws. It's worth checking out.

Good luck.

Comment

If you are in a pinch for $ let me know. I have my old air screws and the bowl gaskets which would probably get by for use. Let me know.

G

Comment

www.motorcyclecarbs.com will have the mix screws and washers and spring for $9.99. It's not on thier web page, you'll need to call them to get them, but I just got one recently. Most of us start at 2 turns out on all the screws and adjust for highest idle.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Scratch the bowl gaskets, I was wrong as they are bad.

Greg

Comment

Greg,

I could definitely use the air screw.

David

Comment

David,

Part is on the way.

Greg

Comment

CRC2 sells bowl gaskets, float valves, etc.
                      CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Greg,

I got the parts.

Thank you,
                        David

Comment

OK, I got the carbs on and the bike runs fairly good. I can tell the carbs need to be synchronized. I will post new threads for any additional questions that come up. Thank you all for you generosity.

David
                          1980 GS750E

Comment

Good deal,

Eat one of those big Texas angus steaks for me.... medium-rare, no sauce!:-D

Glad I could help out.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                            X