Starter Motor O Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Motor O Ring

I have a oil leak on the left side of the bike and I have a feeling the culprit is the O ring for the starter shaft. Oil is leaking through the 3/8" hole on the upper crankcase cover underneath where the starter motor sits. I took off the starter motor cover and ruled out the stator wire where it emerges from the cover. Does anyone had a problem with the O ring leaking in the past? Thanks Ted

Would this leak be on your 850G? What kind of oil is coming out of the hole?

Comment

That o-ring is one possible culprit, and simple enough to replace. It's a common metric size, if you have anyplace nearby where you can get metric o-rings. (I don't remember the size, of course... that's left as an exercise for the reader.)

Assuming it's engine oil, other possibilities for the source of the leak could be the o-ring under the oil pressure switch (uncommon) and the cam chain tensioner (very common).

Someone had a problem with gear oil coming out of this area recently, and very luckily found some loose case bolts nearby and stopped it by simply snugging up the bolts. It's worth checking.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Sorry, its a GS850G and it's motor oil. The 3/8" hole is in the cavity where the starter motor sits. I read somewhere before that's it there to drain water from that area due to rain or washing the bike. I looked at my manual and it states to remove the 2 bolts that secure the motor, and it simply slides out. So I don't have to remove the stator cover? How do I remove the O ring? Thanks Ted

Comment

yep, thats the starter Oring, not real common but it does happen.

unless my memory is failing me, the carbs will have to come off so you can get the starter out.
          the O-ring fits in a groove on the starter nose.

Comment

Working...
          X