Synchronizing Carbs: How hard is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synchronizing Carbs: How hard is it?

I keep seeing threads on synch'ing carbs, and have been warned by my experienced bike friends that when an ad says "bike runs but needs carbs cleaned" it means "carbs need to be torn down, rebuilt, and synch'ed" The ability to synchronize carbs seems to be a very handy thing to have. How hard is it to learn to do this? Is there hope that a guy who has never rebuilt a motor nor torn a transmission apart could learn this?

Check out the following Web page from one of our very own GSR members, Brian Wringer. He has done a great job of compiling some extremely useful maintenance how-tos for the rest of us.

http://bwringer.com/gs/carbsync.html

You should also check out the GS Garage series for more good maintenance info:

http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm

Welcome aboard, and yes, you can learn how to do it! :-D

Comment

its really not terribly hard, at least not on an inline 4...

also, FWIW, i live about 1.5 hours south of ya

Comment

Snyc

The only thing to fear is fear itself. It's actually quite easy, but you need to use a fan to cool your engine or you will melt your tubing.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaTim
          I keep seeing threads on synch'ing carbs, and have been warned by my experienced bike friends that when an ad says "bike runs but needs carbs cleaned" it means "carbs need to be torn down, rebuilt, and synch'ed" The ability to synchronize carbs seems to be a very handy thing to have. How hard is it to learn to do this? Is there hope that a guy who has never rebuilt a motor nor torn a transmission apart could learn this?
          Its easy if you have the carb screwdriver.I did it for the first time the other day .It only take a few minutes and makes a big difference.I thought my bike ran weill before but now its a major improvement on performance!!! It idles quieter and run a lot smoother.

Comment

Great question and excellent replies guys.
            I was thinking this same thing and was wondering about it.
            I know my next bike purchase will be a synchronizer.[-o<
            Thanks
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
            X