No announcement yet.

'79 GS850G no spark cylinder #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought yesterday new contact points, but when I got home I realized they weren't right parts!
    Dealers catalog shows the same code than package, but bike has different shape of points anyway. Also Clymer shows that the new part is wrong shape. Must be different year or something?? I called and they said they have another set for GS500/750. Do you think any of GS 500 or 750 would have similar points with GS850G '79?

Starts to turn out getting Dyna S, Boyer or Newtronic if I can't find even points for that bike from my country (this specific dealer is one of the rare who provide parts for old bikes).

Comment

Now I have made sure that carburetor is working properly, just spark is missing from cylinder 2 most of the time. No matter how I swap parts it is always cyl 2. It seems to work with single, twin or 3 cylinders any combination, but if I connect all 4 plugs number #2 gets lazy.

So I decided to get transistorized ignition system, because I can't figure out how coils would fail always on cylinder #2 even if they were swapped.

Have you any experience about Boyer Bransden electronic ignition? I could get that about 200 euros from Finland. With that I get rid of centrifugal advancer also. Another choice would be Newtronic, but there I can't order, because company is placed liquidation and they can't sell to new customers anything at the moment..

Thanks for all your valuable input.

Comment

Now I installed Boyer Brandsen electronic ignition with new coils and wires. Firing with all 4 cylinders! :-D

Comment

We have a similar story, except I ended up with dyna S. Never did figure it out. Glad you fixed it finally.

Comment

#2 cylinder

I'm also having problems with my #2 cyl not getting hot. (81gs750e) it seems to fire sometimes. It gets warm just not hot. Ifyou figure this out please let me know. I have changed plugs cleaned #2 carb swapped coils and changed the cdi box my points seem fine.

Comment

brent fast:
              My pipe #2 is also still a little bit cooler than others - even after ignition update. However now it must depend on carburetors (idle?), because it makes real difference while driving with or without plug wire #2 connected. So it is definitely making job also. Idle is now stable compare to previous ignition with points, but it still tends to almost choke when throttle is given from the idle -> carbs.

Is your compression fine?

From now on I'm going to ride it for a while before I start to rip off parts again..

Comment

Working...
              X