GS550 starter good enough for 750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 starter good enough for 750?

Apparently my 750T has a 1980 GS550 starter in her. Is this sufficient?

Starter

I wouldn't think they are interchangeable so I went ahead and checked the Suzuki parts sheet and the part numbers are not the same for the 2 bikes, the 750 starter part number is 31000-49050 and the 550 is 31100-49500-H17. There is obviously differences between the 2, the one for the 550 might have fewer internal windings to drive the armature thus a weaker starter, if might turn the 750 over but you could burn it out over time. I would pick up a used one off ebay, then keep the old one as a spare.
    Good Luck Bill

Comment

Thanks, man. Was worried about that. Wonder if that can account for some of my problems starting,...

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike
        Thanks, man. Was worried about that. Wonder if that can account for some of my problems starting,...
        Mike, that # difference might be the difference between the 2 and 4 brush starter. The early 550 and 750 used the same starter. You can check Stocker's Starters parts list to confirm this www.stockers.com You should have no problems with using a 550 starter on your bike...(I think ). The folks at Stocker's are really helpful, you might double check me and give 'em a call.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2006, 03:11 PM.

Comment

They say it's no problem.

Comment

Working...
          X