Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check panel ??

changed my guages to original on 81 GS 1100e ,started up bike and battery
    light stays on a first as it worked on other speedo assy .tried the search engine and no luck and body have an idea ? I also have a dead fuel guage if that is an indicator .More concerned with battery as I do have a trip meter .
    thanks, Robu

battery indicator stays on check panel any help out there ?

Comment

You most likely have an aftermarket battery that no longer has a sensor to measure the health of the battery. Basically, you can pay $130 for a non-sealed battery with the sensor, or $39 for a battery without the sensor. If the sensor isn't hooked up, the light will remain lit. I pulled the bulb out of my gauge cluster on the 81, and clipped the wire to the indicator light on the 83.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        You most likely have an aftermarket battery that no longer has a sensor to measure the health of the battery. Basically, you can pay $130 for a non-sealed battery with the sensor, or $39 for a battery without the sensor. If the sensor isn't hooked up, the light will remain lit. I pulled the bulb out of my gauge cluster on the 81, and clipped the wire to the indicator light on the 83.
        Jethro,I really appreciate your response to my problem can I just clip the wire and what wire am I looking for ? I hate to get into my cluster just for a bulb.I read in an old thread that you disconnected the wire and the battery light would go out after start up ? You are right no hundred dollar battery for me ,the light is annoying again thanks ,

Comment

You can get the battery you need, with a 36 mo. pro rated warranty, with the sensor for appx. $40, from JC WHITNEY. I just baught 2 last week. They don't come with acid, but you can get it, in a motorcycle size package, at many auto parts store for appx.$3 or $4.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

rphillips: What was the part number you used?

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
              You can get the battery you need, with a 36 mo. pro rated warranty, with the sensor for appx. $40, from JC WHITNEY. I just baught 2 last week. They don't come with acid, but you can get it, in a motorcycle size package, at many auto parts store for appx.$3 or $4.
              No kidding? I never knew this. Yes, please list the part number if you still have it, I have searched all battery manufacturers and none I have come across have the sensor equipped battery for cheap!

Anyway, if you don't want to get into your gauges I can see what wire it should be in my electrical shcematic tonight. However, for safety sake, I would just pull the gauges off the bike and pull the back cover to trace the wire to the right place. I don't want to mislead you to cutting the wrong wire.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

You will need to look up your model bike, in a JC whitney catalog or at jcwhitney.com Looks like the part # for the GS 1150's battery is CAA063325, the # that is on the battery is SCB14L-B2, and the part # for the GS 1100E's battery is CAA063323, both are $40.99. Don't use the #'s I've put here, look the #'s up yoursely, for your model bike.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Here's a quick question...can't you just unplug the sensor and complete the circuit to turn off the light? Or can the sensor not be unplugged?

Comment

Working...
                  X