Oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak

I have a leak from the cylinder head cover, behind the round cap. It is coming out of the half-moon shaped rubber plug. I've ordered replacement plugs, but my manuals don't describe the repair process.

Has anyone done this job before? Can you describe the procedure? It seems like I have to remove the gas tank and cylinder head cover to get at them but I'm not sure. Anything I need to look out for? Is there something else I should check while I'm doing the work? Replace the gasket? Any special tools required?

Thanks in advance,

Emjay

Originally posted by emjay
    I have a leak from the cylinder head cover, behind the round cap. It is coming out of the half-moon shaped rubber plug. I've ordered replacement plugs, but my manuals don't describe the repair process.

Has anyone done this job before? Can you describe the procedure? It seems like I have to remove the gas tank and cylinder head cover to get at them but I'm not sure. Anything I need to look out for? Is there something else I should check while I'm doing the work? Replace the gasket? Any special tools required?

Thanks in advance,

Emjay
    You do have to remove the tank. I just put a little (NOTE: Little) silicone sealant on the plugs and that will do the trick.

Comment

Yes, you are supposed to replace the valve cover gasket whenever you remove the cover- if it's a stock Suzuki gasket. I have gotten away with re-using an existing gasket before, but not always. I as well put an extremely light coat of grey RTV on the plugs and the gasket. Check your vavle clearances and cam chain wear while you are in there, plus a visual inspection of the cam lobes.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Oil leak

Originally posted by jgordon
        You do have to remove the tank. I just put a little (NOTE: Little) silicone sealant on the plugs and that will do the trick.
        JGordon,

Are you saying you put the silicone on the new plugs when you install them, or just put some around the old ones and don't bother replacing them?

Emjay

Comment

The plugs were cheap enough, so I am replacing them on mine - today in fact, if the valve cover gasket comes in! I am getting a nice coating of oil on my left leg, and light coating on the right leg!

Comment

Originally posted by JHawkins
            The plugs were cheap enough, so I am replacing them on mine - today in fact, if the valve cover gasket comes in! I am getting a nice coating of oil on my left leg, and light coating on the right leg!
            Just think of it as waterproofing! The good thing about an oil leak is that at least you know there is some oil in there. It's when the bikes doesn't leak that I get worried!
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              Just think of it as waterproofing! The good thing about an oil leak is that at least you know there is some oil in there. It's when the bikes doesn't leak that I get worried!
              hehehe, I hear ya there! Just picked up the mail, got my oil filters(3 bucks each!), valve cover gasket, 3 new tire irons, and my new short stalk signals for the back of the bike (keep dinging the long ones on stuff).

I have the rubber end plugs, and just picked up some grey RTV, ... if it works for a Geoff, it might just work for a Jeff!

Looks like a busy night ahead for me!

EMJAY: if I run into anything weird I will let you know!

Comment

JGordon,

Are you saying you put the silicone on the new plugs when you install them, or just put some around the old ones and don't bother replacing them?

Emjay

GS850GLZ

I have never had the need to buy new plugs because its something that doesn't really wear out. They may harden with time but the light coat of silicone has always done the trick for me and I have put a bunch of heads together....

Comment

Originally posted by jgordon

I have never had the need to buy new plugs because its something that doesn't really wear out. They may harden with time but the light coat of silicone has always done the trick for me and I have put a bunch of heads together....
                  Thanks for the reply.

So, let me get this straight, which is it: you don't tear anything down, you just take the caps off and put a little silicone on the plugs and that's it? Or, do you tear it down enough to pull the plugs, then put the silicone all arounnd them and put them back in? If it's the latter, do you replace the valve cover gasket?

Comment

Jeff, how'd it go for you?

Comment

Originally posted by emjay
                      Jeff, how'd it go for you?
                      I am half way through - got everything disassembled and cleaned up - going to reassemble tonight.

1. had to remove the breather cover on the top as there was not enough clearance to get the valve cover off without removing it - I made a gasket for this, but it was some fine work to do if you have never made one before.

2. two of the rubber plugs were basically fused to the aluminum - they sheared off pieces of rubber when removing, and thus would have been unusable if I had to reinstall them. It was also a bugger to get the plastic off without damaging the aluminum, though I think I did ok.

3. I was surprised by the fact that there is no drain on the outer valves - the area was full of oil which apparently is normal - but did keep me guessing for a while.

It's not a bad job, but the cleanup took a while as the P.O had used black rtv instead of a gasket when he put it back together.

I am going to check the valves tonight and hopefully put it back together if all is well.

Comment

I hope it goes well tonight. Since my leak is not TOO bad I'm waiting till after our upcoming ride.

I had to make my own gasket for a car once. I had a sheet of gasket material. I placed on top of the head, then tapped on it all around where it sits on the head to mark it, then cut it out with scissors.

I expect there will be a lot of fused material all around. The key I think is getting over thing clean so it all seats well.

Yeah, I assumed there was no drain there since mine keeps leaking long after its been shut down.

Good luck,

Emjay

Comment

I am half way through - got everything disassembled and cleaned up - going to reassemble tonight.

1. had to remove the breather cover on the top as there was not enough clearance to get the valve cover off without removing it - I made a gasket for this, but it was some fine work to do if you have never made one before.

2. two of the rubber plugs were basically fused to the aluminum - they sheared off pieces of rubber when removing, and thus would have been unusable if I had to reinstall them. It was also a bugger to get the plastic off without damaging the aluminum, though I think I did ok.

3. I was surprised by the fact that there is no drain on the outer valves - the area was full of oil which apparently is normal - but did keep me guessing for a while.

It's not a bad job, but the cleanup took a while as the P.O had used black rtv instead of a gasket when he put it back together.

I am going to check the valves tonight and hopefully put it back together if all is well.
                          Looks like you are doing all the right things. I wouldn't use a lot of the RTV on the gaskets. What I do is put a little between my forefinger and thumb and just massage the gasket with it on both sides at the same time and that way you don't get that silicone all through the motor and it start plugging things up...I do remove the plugs first...

Comment

Well, it all went back together well, although I will likely call that a dry run as I found out my feeler gauges don't go small enough to measure the valves.

Oh well, another excuse to spend time with Suzy!

Everything seems to have sealed up well, I am happy with the job, and there seems to be no oil leaking anywhere. the first good run will put her to the test though!

While I was at it I soldered up a few connections, removed a few butt connectors and such to get the wiring a little cleaner.

No real surprises I guess, pretty straightforward.

Let me know how it goes when you do yours Emjay!

Comment

Excellent Jeff. Hopefully the weather outlook will improve and I'll see you this Sunday in Maine.

BTW, did you replace the breather cover gasket as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X