Speedometer/Odometer stopped - all others work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer/Odometer stopped - all others work

So, the speedometer and the odometer stopped working on my GS. All the other instruments work fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be? I was going to open it up and just make sure everything was still connected... sound right?

Thanks.

Check the cable where it attaches to the front hub.

If it's conencted, then disconnect it and see if the piece inside spins freely. It's usually a square shaped metal piece.
    If it does, try connecting it to a variable speed drill, use the drill on a slow setting and see if the speedo works.
    If not check the other end of the cable, to see if it's connected.
    If no to any of the suggestions, you may need a new cable.
    I'd check cables before opening the instruments up.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

'80 GS850G speedo stoped working after lube?

OK, the speedometer on my '80 GS850G has been BOUNCY ever since I bought it but always worked. About a month ago it started geting noisy when slowing to a stop. So I put some light lubricant down the cable and a LITTLE up in the gauge.

Well it no longer made noise and worked but still jumpy. It worked for about two more short rides. Then after the first mile of a 100 miles trip home the speedo just died!! It would try to bump up again for a milisecond every once in a awhile. At first if I hit it with my hand it would jump for a momment then die again. But now it will not even do that??

What is the the issue and how can I fix it, bike only has 37k on it.

Comment

Originally posted by shortlid
        OK, the speedometer on my '80 GS850G has been BOUNCY ever since I bought it but always worked. About a month ago it started geting noisy when slowing to a stop. So I put some light lubricant down the cable and a LITTLE up in the gauge.

Well it no longer made noise and worked but still jumpy. It worked for about two more short rides. Then after the first mile of a 100 miles trip home the speedo just died!! It would try to bump up again for a milisecond every once in a awhile. At first if I hit it with my hand it would jump for a momment then die again. But now it will not even do that??

What is the the issue and how can I fix it, bike only has 37k on it.
        Like KGB already explained check the cable again, it probably snapped. (BTW 37K is a LOT of mi).

Comment

Speedometer

I had the same problem and performed some tests similar to those suggested by KGB. My cable and speedo (no, not my bathing suit!) worked fine, I obviously had to look in the other direction. Sure enough, the drive gear that runs off the wheel was not working. I removed it and found that the disk with the two tabs that fit onto the wheel didn't move well and the part that connects to the cable would turn by hand but never when the tabs moved. I replaced the gear and all is fine now.

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for the responses (and anymore that come down the pipe).

I know, I know... who looks at their spedometer anyways, right? "No officer, I actually have NO idea how fast I was going."

Comment

How much is a speedo cable for our bikes anyway??

Comment

Speedo cables are about $15 for OEM suzuki, which should be the best quality available.

Comment

Cool, anyone know part #'s off hand?

Comment

If you go to bike bandit, the part number will be on the handlebar schematic.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Ok Parts Unlimted '80 GS850G speedo cable ordered. Will it come with the sheath and screw in mounts, or just the cable itself??

Comment

Should come ready to go, just unscrew the old and screw in the new. Replacing worn-out speedo and tach cables is not uncommon - flexible shafts have limited lifetimes, but these can be extended by making sure it's not bending at too tight of a radius anywhere, and by occasional lubing with regular engine oil.

Nick

Comment

Engine oil

Originally posted by Flyin' Low
                          Should come ready to go, just unscrew the old and screw in the new. Replacing worn-out speedo and tach cables is not uncommon - flexible shafts have limited lifetimes, but these can be extended by making sure it's not bending at too tight of a radius anywhere, and by occasional lubing with regular engine oil.

Nick
                          OK so when I install the new, engine oil is the best lube to use?

Comment

Yes, my 3rd party repair manual recommends regular motor oil. Don't know if there's anything better.... I recall mine came with some sort of grease already on there, so I didn't add any lube on the initial install. Industrial flex shafts that I have used at work recommended lithium grease. But even unlubricated, it should last >10K miles as long as it doesn't get kinked.

Nick

Comment

Parts Unlimited

Just called Parts Unlimited and they said that the cable DOES come with the sheath! But did not say if it was pre-lubed or not?? Anyone buy one of these Parts Unlimited speedo cables?

Comment

Working...
                              X