Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chain Conversion...How do you get the old chain off???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Conversion...How do you get the old chain off???

Good day,

Well, I've got my conversion kit in....but I've hit a wall.
    I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get the old chain off without removing the swingarm, rear brake, shocks, etc...

Tell me there's an easier way of doing this!

I figured I could cut thru the chain with my rotary tool but there aren't any outboard power outlets outside of my apartment complex and I sure as heck don't have an extension cord long enough to go from the apartment allllllll the way to the parking lot.

I thought about asking one of the neighbors on that side of the building if I could borrow a cup of electricity. But I don't figure anyone is going to let me use their power with utilities being as expensive as they are...

Any suggestions??
    Thanks in advance.

1. bolt cutters
    2. hacksaw
    Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2006, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tfb
      1. bolt cutters
      2. hacksaw
      Awesome, could I also use one of these chain breakers?

this one is 25-60 gauge. Is that enough?

Comment

You could try a cordless drill on the rivets of one of the chain links, but you'd better have some good drill bits. Otherwise, do like I did. I also live in an apartment with no garage, so I went and scouted ALL of the local self-storage rentals in town and got REALLY lucky. I found a 6x12 unit about ten blocks from my house. The unit has a pull-string light fixture in it. So, I went to the store and bought one of those little converters that plugs into a light bulb socket and turns it into an electrical outlet. Then I ran a couple of extension cords and a flood light inside the unit. I thought I would surely get busted, which is the case most of the time, but one day the manager and her son were walking by and noticed me in my unit with the bike torn apart, rags on the floor, and the flood light on. I thought they were going to tell me to pack it up, but instead they came in and started admiring the bike and the work I was doing! Can't beat that! I pay $42/month for the unit which suits my needs fine. I stay clean, quiet, and safe and the owners let me do my thing. Now that my bike is mostly restored, I just use the unit to store the bike when it rains. They watch me ride it into the unit and shut the bike off and just smile and wave...\\/

Comment

Are you sure you don't have a clip style link? One of the links may look a little different, and have a retainer clip link. Barring that, some local shops may let you borrow a chain press, especially if you bought your conversion kit there. I can't imagine a pair of bolt cutters will work, but I guess I've never tried it. Chains are as hard as a padlock clasp, but thier irregular shape may make it hard to break.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I've done the storage unit thing too. I had a 4' florescent fixture hung up the really light up the little room. The bonus is that alot of bands use these types of rentals to practice in, so you can get free live music while you wrench!

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              Are you sure you don't have a clip style link? One of the links may look a little different, and have a retainer clip link. Barring that, some local shops may let you borrow a chain press, especially if you bought your conversion kit there. I can't imagine a pair of bolt cutters will work, but I guess I've never tried it. Chains are as hard as a padlock clasp, but thier irregular shape may make it hard to break.
              Nope, it's the stock chain. I followed it with my eye and there is no clip.

I got the conversion kit off of an ebay seller....so no going back to a shop for me.

Comment

Grind the two pin heads down all the way until you are ginding the side of the link plate. I used a dremel tool. The cover plate should fall off at that piont with a little help from a screw driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul F
                  Grind the two pin heads down all the way until you are ginding the side of the link plate. I used a dremel tool. The cover plate should fall off at that piont with a little help from a screw driver.
                  That's the easiest way - grind them off. I use an angle grinder as it get it done pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryman
                    That's the easiest way - grind them off. I use an angle grinder as it get it done pretty quick.
                    Ah ha!! Okay, I'll do this tomorrow.

My co-worker Chad is letting me use his garage. He is also going to fab me up a reducer cone for my MAC header so I can use sportbike exhaust cans.

FINALLY!! WOOHOO!

Comment

Working...
                    X