84' GS1100 Ignition trouble.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84' GS1100 Ignition trouble.

First of all im glad i found this site on the net, the GS community is'nt that big in norway. Now for my question:

Im having trouble with my gs1100's ignition system. It refuses to make the sparkplugs spark. i have done all the tests listed in the clymer repairmanual but i havent been able to get anything conclusive out of them.

I have measured the signal generators for the ignition, and they have the right values.

I have tested the ignitor box with a 1,5v battery. and according to the clymer manual, the plugs should make a spark as soon as I connect the battery to the signalgenerator inputs, but they don't.

On the other hand i do get a spark if I rub the wires on the ignitorbox connectors.

Is it possible that the ignition box is the fault?

-frode

Same problem

I am having the exact same problem with my 1986 GS550L. I posted earlier..."TR Igniter problem" I have no answers yet. Here is my situation:
    I have the Clymer's repair manual and I followed the same procedures as you did. I have all the correct values being put out by the signal generator, but when I try to get the Igniter box to set off the spark plugs, they do nothing. Also, if I pull out any of the 4 plugs and ground them to the engine block I get no spark when I crank it over. I replaced the Igniter box and the problem still remains. I have zero spark on all 4 plugs...a new Igniter box...and a signal generater that is supposedly working perfect. I can't possibly believe that both coils went bad at the same time! I'm afraid my situation my be a bad wire somewhere. I hate wiring problems.
    Please, if you get any advice, let me know. I will do the same for you.

By the way, here is what happened when the bike died: At first it would hesitate when riding and feel like it wanted to die. Then it would get harder and harder each time to get it started until eventually one day it would not start at all.

Jeff

Comment

Have you guys checked/replaced your plug wires and/or the caps? If the coils are good but the wires are bad, you may not get spark. Please let me know what you find.

- Tim

Comment

Thanks for advice

I'm going to tinker on it this weekend. Not much time to work on it these days with a new baby and all. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know if it works out.

Jeff

Comment

Thanks for the reply's.
          After some more testing i still came up with nothing conclusive on what was wrong with the ingition. I decided to buy a complete aftermarket ignition for the bike. So i searched around the net for ignitionsystems, and found the dyna2000 kit on http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1981 .

The bike started at the first try after the installation. The bike has been in use for almost a month now, all without any troubble.

For me, this was the cheapest way to get maximum reliability for the bike.
          (also the kit was way under half price in the US, compared to Norway 384$ on z1 and 967$ in Norway)

-frode

Comment

Working...
          X