Camshaft ends (valve area) full of oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camshaft ends (valve area) full of oil?

I was just changing the half moon oil plugs and valve cover gasket on the 750 and when I took the cover off I noticed that on all 4 ends the valve area was full of oil. I am not sure if this is normal or not, as I would have thought it would drain back out. (bike has been sitting for a day).

Can anyone confirm this is normal, or abnormal?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Yep, normal. My big shocker was removing the alternator cover and finding oil there - that too is normal. However, it's a good question about how the oil recirculates from the valve area back to the sump.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2006, 06:35 PM.

Comment

This is a good thing. Lots of oil floods the valve train and drains back to the crankcase through the cam drive chain gallery. A pretty good system. One of the reasons these run forever. Ray
      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1
        This is a good thing. Lots of oil floods the valve train and drains back to the crankcase through the cam drive chain gallery. A pretty good system. One of the reasons these run forever. Ray
        my big concern was oil exchange, I like the idea of lots and lots of oil, just didn't realize how much circulated through there. Apparently enough to flow oil out of the ends and back to the drain in the middle.

Comment

Working...
        X