getting the forks out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting the forks out

i removed the pinch bolt on my 1980 gs 750, but the fork wont drop... Why? is there a nother bolt or something?

I don't have a 1980 but each fork leg usually has two pinch bolts. One is at the top of the triple tree and the other is at the bottom.

Comment

The lower bolt(s) should be right below the headlight, on the back side of the forks.

Comment

Two bolts on each side. I loosened mine and they slid right out. Might have to wiggle them some to get them out.

Allen

Comment

Also don't have a 750, but I had to pry slightly (apart) in the gaps in the upper & lower fork pinch brackets (after removing the bolts) to get my forks sliding...

Comment

I have had to pry some too the make them slide.

Allen

Comment

got them out, theres small gouges in the inner tube. should be alright though, because their way smaller than the length of the seal right?

Comment

Yep, as long as gouges/rust pits/rust spots are above where the fork seals travel, you're okay. You'll see how far they travel when you compress the forks.

By the way, look at my forks thread in the Tips & Tricks section for a description of how I got the old seals out without removing a (stripped) bolt from the bottom of the fork. Not disassembling them is MUCH easier...

Comment

Working...
                X