New pipes, new backfire. Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New pipes, new backfire. Why?

Got my shiny new VH 4-1 on, looks badass, sound great, shaves a solid 40lbs. Can't beat it!
    Buuuuuutttt........ During engine brake, it backfires like crazy. I think that it may have done it a little from time to time with the stock pipes, but now it sounds like freakin' thunder. I don't mind it, I just don't know if its a problem or not. Like I said, won't backfire when accelerating, idling, or cruising. Only while engine braking. Maybe it always has done this and now it's just amplified by the megaphone? Maybe I don't know what I'm doing. Anyway, thanks.

Back firing through the exhaust when braking is due to an air leak normally around where the headers go into the head.
    I had the same trouble on my race bike, the bracket holding the can was too long, which was holding the pipes away from the gaskets.
    Noel

Comment

Well hot damn, Moto. You are a genius. As soon as I fired it up tonight one of the headers was definitely leaking right when I started it. Like a loud click-click-click that quieted after 20 seconds or so. I didn't have time to screw with it today, so I rode it home, but I was going to take them back off tomorrow and make sure everything is fitting correctly. You da man.

Comment

Order up some new gaskets if you hav'nt already . . . not too expensive

Comment

New gaskets are on the way, but in the meantime is there any damage to come from riding with this condition?

Comment

Working...
          X