Can you help me identify this part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you help me identify this part?

It is a black box, 5 1/2 inches long, 4 inches wide, 1 1/8 inch thick. There are mounting tabs on the long sides, 8 wires come out one end, going to two connectors, each with four terminals. One connector is black, the other is red, other than that, they look the same. (If this description is not enough, I can send pictures.)

The label has a Suzuki part number 32900-49410, and a NiponDenso part number 131100-3180. Additional markings show it is for a 12-volt system.

This was presented to me as "the brain box for an 850", but there is no such animal on my '82 850 GL, or my '82 650 GL.

I would like to offer it as a prize for whoever can correctly identify it, but I won't let it go quite that cheaply.

If someone needs it, let me know.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

It's an igniter unit for the ignition system on your 1982 850. Go to an online parts fiche & look at the "signal generator" heading for your bike. It's still available, but very expensive. If it checks out ok, you might want to keep it as a spare.

Terry

Comment

That might be why I ended up with this thing in the first place, but there is NOTHING like it on the bike! I just replaced the ignitor to get it running on all four cylinders. The troubleshooting process involved tracing and testing everything from the pickup coils on the right side of the crank to the spark plugs, and there is nothing that looks like this box on the bike.

Might it be for an 850G and not for a GL?
      sigpic
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I just spent some time at BikeBandit.com. Found that the 82G, 83G, 83GL all have an igniter that looks like what I have sitting on the bench. The picture and part number for the 82GL is different from those three, AND it does not even look close to what is on the bike.

Bottom line...it does not fit on my 850 or my 650, and is therefore extra. Anybody else need it?
        sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride

Comment

Here is an actual site that has Suzuki part numbers:

It looks like the ignitor fits the 1100 Gs's also.

Comment

According to Alpha Sports (http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm) it's for the G, not the GL.

Comment

It's the ignitor unit for my GS1100GL as well. I might be interested in seeing if it can improve my bike's spark, which is okay but not great.

If you have a completely different unit in the bike than what's shown on the parts diagrams, I'd be curious to know who made it... are there markings on your new one?
              Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2006, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X