Oil pan or new thread kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pan or new thread kit?

[-o< Remember that annoying little oil leak? Well, 2 new drain plugs, 2 metal and one fibre washer later, when I pulled out the plug again last night to try the fibre washer, about 20% of the internal threads came out with the plug. Any suggestions, or does anyone have an extra oil-pan kicking around? Thanks.

Check this thread by Billy Ricks :-D

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...p/t-71861.html

Comment

Ouch, I feel your pain. I had to replace my whole oil pan last year cause of the same issue. Too muchover-tightening I guess.
      Now I just tighten it enough and keep a little drip at the oil pan every couple of days to make sure I'm not over-tightening again.

Comment

Thanks guys!
        This one had been through the mill though, and by a miracle, my local Suzuki shop had the last pan in Canada on their shelf (really) and had forgetten that they even had it. So, I got the "thank god we'll never have to dust this off for inventory again" special discount, and a new pan is now in place.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted buddy :-D

Comment

Heli-Coils work well for oil pan threads.

If you're really in a pinch, you can get an expanding rubber plug at any auto parts store, but that's only a temporary measure at best. They have been known to fall out.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X