I'm New! Help! I need a NOS resource

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm New! Help! I need a NOS resource

I am so new here, sorry if this is the wrong place. I need a source of good NOS parts. Specifically I am looking for electrical parts. I bough a bike that runs well, but the charging system is shot. AND almost everything is so corroded- a bad battery was left to its own device for years. I am doing a full restore, so I'd like to just yank the whole thing and start again. OR if anyone has parts for sale, let me know. Right now, I need a new battery harness, because the old one is so eaten away, it's all but useless....

Thanks

maynardmusic@comcast.net

New wiring harnesses are very hard to find; Suzuki discontinued making them long ago. Are you sure you can't trim back the corroded ends on the wiring you have and install new connectors as needed? There are places online that have connectors in the same style as originally installed on your bike, and you can get some of the connectors from your local auto-parts store.

Many of us like these parts places:

Supplying new parts for Vintage Motorcycles! Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha. Old Bike Barn has what you need for your vintage motorcycle project!

Buy & sell electronics, cars, clothes, collectibles & more on eBay, the world's online marketplace. Top brands, low prices & free shipping on many items.

Bikebandit has online Suzuki parts diagrams with their own part numbers. Many of us use http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.html which gives the Suzuki parts numbers and updated parts numbers.

As far as the charging system, take a look at the Stator Papers on the main site, and search here in the tech forum for "regulator" for a whole avalanche of information.

Comment

Help

I too need a resource for NOS parts. I have a problem with clutch cables they like to break right at the clutch lever. The last couple i found were on ebay so i recomend tryin there. A lot of people dismantle these bikes and sell the parts. However you have to watch, i've received 2 clutch cables that were the wrong parts even though they said they will fit my bike. That is why a cross reference website would be nice. Goodluck to you and happy riding when you get it finished.

Comment

The places I listed above sell genuine Suzuki parts. Many GS parts are still available; I wouldn't use other than a Suzuki made clutch cable because I too have had trouble with the aftermarket ones.

Comment

Originally posted by threebtbird
          I too need a resource for NOS parts. I have a problem with clutch cables they like to break right at the clutch lever. The last couple i found were on ebay so i recomend tryin there. A lot of people dismantle these bikes and sell the parts. However you have to watch, i've received 2 clutch cables that were the wrong parts even though they said they will fit my bike. That is why a cross reference website would be nice. Goodluck to you and happy riding when you get it finished.

This is where they normally break, but the problem can be reduced considerably by keeping everything lubricated, with attention paid to the cable-end/lever connection, as it gets dirty and this causes the fitting to grab, thus imposing an extra few degrees of tight bend in the cable.

Replacing a cable does not always mean buying a new one.....if the sheath is sound you can still use it, and make your own new, and stronger, clutch cable. Aircraft quality cable is not hard to come by and it is strong enough that you could use it to pick up the bike, yet as flexible as any other steel cable.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by threebtbird
            Clutch cables break at this point when they can't move inside the lever. The plug on the end of the cable should have a plastic cylinder around it which acts as a bearing. Or it needs a bit of grease in there. That plug needs to rotate inside the lever, otherwise the inner cable flexes at the joint and breaks.

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
              Replacing a cable does not always mean buying a new one.....if the sheath is sound you can still use it, and make your own new, and stronger, clutch cable. Aircraft quality cable is not hard to come by and it is strong enough that you could use it to pick up the bike, yet as flexible as any other steel cable.
              Bike bandit has clutch cables for $20. IMHO, $20 is a lot cheaper than a combination of the price of the aircraft cable and the time/frustration of fabricating a new cable.

My experience with ebay for cables is the used ones are usually shot and are not much cheaper than if you were to purchase them from bike bandit.

Comment

Clutch cable

I recently had to replace my cable... I order from the local $uzuki shop and had to wait about a week.. Cost was about $12 (US)... the cable finally went on the following Monday and cable came in late on Tuesday.. works fine now.

JP

Comment

Working...
                X