How long for oil to show in window?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long for oil to show in window?

How long after a ride should it take for the oil to show in the window?

Thanks,
    Mike

time

I never really timed it but recently I looked at it about 1/2 hour after riding it and most had setteled by then. It may be quicker b/c I have not looked at it right away but I know by about 1/2 hour I could see it. It may also depend upon what the viscosity you use and what the temp outside is.

Comment

I'm running Shell Rotella T 15w-40 and it's about 62 degrees F out.

Seems to be taking forever.

Comment

hurry?

Sounds like you are in a hurry. Relax, gravity will work eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by semerm
          Sounds like you are in a hurry. Relax, gravity will work eventually.
          Just worried about one more thing going wrong, really. If I tilt the bike to the right, it shows up.

Comment

oh...

You do know the bike should be on the center stand to shcek the level? (At least that is what is in the 1981 gs850 manual.)

Comment

You do know the bike should be on the center stand to shcek the level? (At least that is what is in the 1981 gs850 manual.)
              Yup. I actually use the centerstand almost exclusively. Pretty much the only time I don't is when I'm getting off the bike to open the garage door.

Comment

How many litres does a GS 1000 take? I changed my oil and filter today for the first time and mis-estimated how much oil it took. I only bought 2 litres.

Comment

?

can you see the level when it is on the stand? how long has it been since you shut it down?

Comment

mike

I'm not sure how much my 850 took (changed it for the first time (it is new to me) about 2 months ago. I cannot help you with the 1000, but someone on this site must know for you.

Comment

Ahh, no big deal. It's parked till I fill it with oul. I'll find out tomorrow when I top it up.

Comment

can you see the level when it is on the stand? how long has it been since you shut it down?
                        It's been approxiamately 1.5-2 hours since I shut her down, but in that time I pulled the plugs, dropped some MMO into the cylinders and attempted to start her without the plug caps attached, just to cycle it through. I've also turned the ignition to "ON" a couple of times since then.

It does not show in the window on the center stand.

I put 3200ml in her this morning.

Comment

I am by no means an expert but if you tried to turn it over even without the plugs attached, your oil pump picked up the oil and again circulated it. Just having the key on only enables the electronics but once you hit the starter, your time again starts over to wait to see the oil level.

Comment

I am by no means an expert but if you tried to turn it over even without the plugs attached, your oil pump picked up the oil and again circulated it. Just having the key on only enables the electronics but once you hit the starter, your time again starts over to wait to see the oil level.
                            That's what I was thinking. Looks like patience is forever the key,...

...damn.

Comment

And thanks. I appreciate it.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X