No announcement yet.

How long for oil to show in window?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a '79 750L & I have to tip it farther than just straight up also, to get it to work! But I know it's got oil, & after I found out that, it was going to take longer than I was expected to be alive, to work straight up, I was fine! Just a 'lil movment to the right, & everything was okay!

Comment

The oil capacity is marked on the engine block next to the oil filler cap. On my 850 it's right under the engine's serial number and says "3000ml" which is three liters or a bit less than 3 1/2 quarts.

Comment

Still nothin' showin'.

Gettin worried.

It's sitting in the same place as when I filled it this morning. There's nothing dripping. Nothing dripped during the ride all day. The engine couldn't just eat that much oil, could it? It didn't smoke at all today.

Comment

My window on both my bikes fills up within minutes... maybe 5 at the most.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce
            My window on both my bikes fills up within minutes... maybe 5 at the most.
            This is no good. This is no good.

Comment

The oil capacity including filter is usually stamped on a boss/plate beside the oil filler neck. If I remember correctly, you bike should take about 3.25 quarts without a filter change and 1/4 quart more if the oil filter is changed.
              Earl

Originally posted by Billyboy
              How many litres does a GS 1000 take? I changed my oil and filter today for the first time and mis-estimated how much oil it took. I only bought 2 litres.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Yep. I always have the oil show up within moments after shutting down. The oil is hot and thin so drains fast.

You positive you put in all you meant to this morning? Wind her out a lot today?

I don't really have a feel for this yet myself... I've noticed that sometimes I'll drop a quart in 500mi or so (rarely) and then sometimes I haven't needed to touch it for 800+ miles. I check the levels daily..

I'd say top it up to where it should be (on the centerstand of course) and then ride....keeping an eye out for drips and smoke. If it doesn't go away on you this time don't sweat it.

I've also heard that sometimes fresh oil will "boil off" quickly in our engines... aromatics coming out of the base or something. It seemed like that was happening to me once on a trip last fall...every 400mi or so I'd have to put in 1/2 to 1 quart.

Keep us posted!
                /\/\ac

Comment

My 750 T manual says to wait 1 minute before checking, so something is amiss here. Maybe the oil passage to this window is plugged or being blocked from filling up. Might have to drain the oil and pull the clutch cover to check it out. Maybe the oil level is too high already and is covering the entire window. Sometimes it is hard to tell the level with new clean oil.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                    The oil capacity including filter is usually stamped on a boss/plate beside the oil filler neck. If I remember correctly, you bike should take about 3.25 quarts without a filter change and 1/4 quart more if the oil filter is changed.
                    Earl
                    Just checked my owner's manual. Even though it says 3200ml on the engine, the manual says that only applies when changing the oil only, and when changing the oil and filter, I should use 3800ml. This is frickin' ridiculous.

How much damage did I do riding ~50 miles today with too little oil?

Comment

My Money Says None. These Engines are Tough as Nails even when abused. I have heard of others Running Way Low on Oil without Major Damage. I think DPEP said Once He had Done it a Few times on His 850. Fill it Up and Ride, I bet it's OK.
                      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc
                        My Money Says None. These Engines are Tough as Nails even when abused. I have heard of others Running Way Low on Oil without Major Damage. I think DPEP said Once He had Done it a Few times on His 850. Fill it Up and Ride, I bet it's OK.
                        I hope so. Just ****es me off, it's stamped right on the damn ENGINE!!!

Comment

Depending upon how long the bike has been sitting without running, how warm it is, how patient I am when I drain the oil, and probably a few other things, my 700 has never really needed an exact amount of oil to fill her back up after an oil drain. I've learned to not worry about how much I add, just go by the sight glass.

Fill 'er up to 3/4 full in the sight glass, take her for a spin around the block, park her back in the garage, wait five minutes, then top off to the 3/4 mark again (assuming your sight glass isn't plugged).

If you have had some varnishing in your engine, your sight glass may need to be cleaned. Drain the oil, take off the engine cover and unscrew the retainer that holds the sight glass in place. Spray the window grill with compressed air and wipe clean. You may have to use some carb cleaner if it's really stained. If you do, dunk it in soapy water immediately after spraying the crud off to get the cleaner off.

I've seen a couple bikes that had been running with less than a quart of oil for some time both recover fine after a new oil and filter change. You probably did no damage to the enigine, so don't sweat it, just fix it and all should be well.
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Adding to what relic rider said, be sure you dont overfill with fresh oil, a severe overfill means bad news for seals. That said, with 50 miles of riding it should be darker than brand new oil, so youll be able to see it. These engines are pretty resistant to low oil because of the roller bearings.

IMO, sight gauges are stupid for the primary means of checking the oil. They just arent precise enough for me. A dipstick is SO much easier. Even with fresh oil, you know exactly how much youve got. *steps off soapbox*

Comment

Thanks guys. She's filled up now. I was just getting worried as I'm trying so hard to get her running right, and I don't want to go and make things WORSE!

Mike

Comment

Mike,

Don’t freak out!

Your engine is fine, and you did not damage it at all.

You ran the engine for 50 miles with over three quarts in the crankcase and oil galleys etc.

Our GS engines have nearly the same oil capacity as most American V-8 engines. That is so they can run at 5000 RPM for hours on the highway on a hot day.

Next time you change the oil, don’t worry about measuring cc's, just pour in three full quarts, and then pour most of a fourth quart in, until you see the oil level rising in the sight glass.

When I change the oil on my GS 1000 bikes, they take almost four full quarts.

Always check oil level with the bike on the center stand. Hot oil will take a minute or less to drain down into the crankcase and rise to a level visible in the sight glass.

Relax. Ride. Smile.

Comment

Working...
                                X