Removing Stator Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Stator Cover

I'll be replacing my stator and regulator/rectifier as soon as the parts arrive. I'm not intentionally trying to cause trouble, but would appreciate detailed advice/descriptions of how to remove the stator cover. I know some folks addressed this in a prior posting.......but this time, assume the person you're instructing (ie me) has limited motorcycle wrenching experience, talk slowly so I can read your lips, etc
    What's the easiest way to get that sucker off?
    Please be sure to list/describe any tools being used and precautions to be taken.
    Do I need to replace whatever gasket lives on the backside of the thing?
    All suggestions and help are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Scott
    P.S. Any words of wisdom about where to buy the parts in question also would be appreciated: Electrex, vs Dennis Kirk, vs ????

Re: Removing Stator Cover

[quote="slstamper"]What's the easiest way to get that sucker off?

Just open the bolts and pull. The magnet is fighting back but pull, pull, pull!
    You need a 8mm socket wrench or corresponding with the bolts. If there are different length bolts, keep their locations in mind.

I understand the old stator is kaputt so You don't have to be careful with the wires... but take a good look how they are routed so You can install the new stator cables properly.

The stator cover gasket is not as critical as the other engine gaskets, so if it looks to be OK, You can re-use it. Some silicone sealant or corresponding can be applied.

When the new stator is installed to the cover (apply thread locking compound in the screws + do not overtighten), route the wires like the old ones were and bolt on the cover. Do not overtighten, 10-12Nm should be enough.

Electrex strongly recommended. OEM Suzuki stuff not!

Comment

bolt change

If your bike still has "phillips" head bolts holding the stator cover on you need to use an impact driver, it is not 100% needed, but if you get on to a bolt that is stuck it can be a real pain!

Also while you have it off, I would go ahead and change the bolts to allen wrench ones.

-Karl

Comment

Re: bolt change

Originally posted by KrazyKarl02
        If your bike still has "phillips" head bolts holding the stator cover on you need to use an impact driver, it is not 100% needed, but if you get on to a bolt that is stuck it can be a real pain!

Also while you have it off, I would go ahead and change the bolts to allen wrench ones.

-Karl
        Also important if you have "philips" head bolt, is to use the CORRECT bit on the impact driver/ correct screwdriver.

They look alike but they are not.

Comment

And don't forget that battery and Jumper cables.....! :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01

i was trying to resist

Comment

removing stator cover

Propflux01 & Slopoke
              Your restraint was admirable. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
              Sounds like I won't have to worry about removing anything for up to a month until the stator becomes available, anyway.
              Scott

Comment

I'm sorry, I just couldn't let that one pass!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

eh eh eh As they say, "in theory, throey and practice are the same, in practice..............
                  Well now, sometimes it just aint a gonna work like youse thinks it will. :-) :-)

I'm sorry, I just couldn't let that one pass!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl
                    eh eh eh As they say, "in theory, throey and practice are the same, in practice..............
                    Well now, sometimes it just aint a gonna work like youse thinks it will.
                    And look where that theory got the other person. Still haven't sorted out the damage done.

Comment

VULCHERS

Comment

BTW:

VULCHERS (is not in my non Scotty proof dictionary)

Comment

Originally posted by kz

BTW:

VULCHERS (is not in my non Scotty proof dictionary)
                          I just looked it up and couldnt find a definition--it probably should have been Buzzards

buz?zard [ b?zzrd ] (plural buz?zards, buz?zard)
                          noun

1. vulture: any North American vulture, for example, the turkey vulture

2. U.K. birds See buteo

3. bad-tempered person: a mean, bad-tempered, or unpleasant person ( dated )

[14th century. From Old French busard , of uncertain origin: probably formed from Latin buteo(n-) (kind of) falcon or hawk, of unknown origin.]
                          Now i see the spelling error--keep me sharp I know how bad my spelling is.

Comment

:-) :-) :-) Billy. Sometimes the quick and easy way isnt the quick and easy way.

Earl

Originally posted by Billy Ricks

And look where that theory got the other person. Still haven't sorted out the damage done.
                            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

[quote="slopoke"]
                              Originally posted by kz
                              I just looked it up and couldnt find a definition--it probably should have been Buzzards

buz?zard [ b?zzrd ] (plural buz?zards, buz?zard)
                              noun

1. vulture: any North American vulture, for example, the turkey vulture

2. U.K. birds See buteo

3. bad-tempered person: a mean, bad-tempered, or unpleasant person ( dated )

[14th century. From Old French busard , of uncertain origin: probably formed from Latin buteo(n-) (kind of) falcon or hawk, of unknown origin.]
                              Now i see the spelling error--keep me sharp I know how bad my spelling is.
                              Thanks for your clarification Scotty, learning something every day (also forgetting something every day 8O )

Comment

Working...
                              X