Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotors: Drilling & Surfacing - This Guy Says He'll Do It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotors: Drilling & Surfacing - This Guy Says He'll Do It!

This guy on eBay is offering a set of drilled & surfaced 550 brake rotors, but he is also saying to contact him if you want yours done. I've been interested in doing this for a while, so click HERE for the auction and info if you are interested too... no word on price.

It commonly accepted that bike rotors are too thin to be resurfaced or trued,
    this is the 1st person I have heard of that will do this. Consequently, I have some reservations about his offer.

Earl

Originally posted by ddaum
    This guy on eBay is offering a set of drilled & surfaced 550 brake rotors, but he is also saying to contact him if you want yours done. I've been interested in doing this for a while, so click HERE for the auction and info if you are interested too... no word on price.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
      It commonly accepted that bike rotors are too thin to be resurfaced or trued
      I agree to a point. This is true with most newer bikes, but my 1980 GS550 has big-ol' honkin' single front and rear brake rotors. I recently measured my rotors using a digital caliper and I still have a few thousandths of thickness to play with before I reach my service limit. Can't remember the actual measurement though.

Comment

OK, I didnt know if you had the newer style and thin dual disks or the old thicker single. If you've measured them and know the specs and the situation, then please ignore me. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by ddaum
        I agree to a point. This is true with most newer bikes, but my 1980 GS550 has big-ol' honkin' single front and rear brake rotors. I recently measured my rotors using a digital caliper and I still have a few thousandths of thickness to play with before I reach my service limit. Can't remember the actual measurement though.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

also, i'm not sure I would trust the drilled rotors. Rotors that weren't specially designed to have holes in them aren't supposed to have holes in them. I dunno, maybe he knows a LOT about metallurgy, stress, and heat?

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            It commonly accepted that bike rotors are too thin to be resurfaced or trued,
            this is the 1st person I have heard of that will do this. Consequently, I have some reservations about his offer.

Earl
            I had the infamous "lever pulsation" last year when I drove my GS, so I knew I had a suspect front rotor(s) warped. When I got the rotors clamped in a lathe fixture I observed .021 of warpage. The max allowable spec is .012 . I was able to shave my rotors to get them within .009 . Problem is is on a conventioal lathe to get tool "chatter" which is the insert bouncing off the predrilled holes. Rotors should be "ground" not turned on a lathe. I did get a good surface finish with some old timer advice lathe tricks, but it was a REAL PIA. The other issue is I am currently .011 under the min thickness spec. I could care less, if you compare todays rotors. Just dont rat me out to the DOT inspection stations...... LOL
            Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2006, 08:25 AM.

Comment

.011 under? Oh man, the DOT ROTOCOPS will be at your door at first light to take you away. hehehe

Earl

Originally posted by Road_Clam
              I had the infamous "lever pulsation" last year when I drove my GS, so I knew I had a suspect front rotor(s) warped. When I got the rotors clamped in a lathe fixture I observed .021 of radial warpage. The max allowable spec is .012 . I was able to shave my rotors to get them within .009 . Problem is is on a conventioal lathe to get tool "chatter" which is the insert bouncing off the predrilled holes. Rotors should be "ground" not turned on a lathe. I did get a good surface finish with some old timer advice lathe tricks, but it was a REAL PIA. The other issue is I am currently .011 under the min thickness spec. I could care less, if you compare todays rotors. Just dont rat me out to the DOT inspection stations...... LOL

Comment

I had the rotors drilled & surfaced on my 79 gs 1000 dragbike. They worked fine stopping me from 150 mph if fact the front worked much better than the rear. I remember being told the rotors were extremely hard material & not easy to drill.

Paul
                80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Working...
                X