Rear Brake Prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Brake Prob

Ever since I got my 77 '750 the rear brake lever (pedal?) has been having problems returning to the right position, as a result the brake sticks a little bit unless I pull up a bit on it with me toe... it' mostly just been a bit annoying. Lately, though, I've been a bit timid about using the rear brake at all because it seems to stick right away and lock up. I'm pretty sure the caliper needs to be rebuilt but I can't find a rebuild kit for this year... any ideas. Umm just for the record don't bother telling me that I shouldn't be using the rear brake anyway (a view that's been shared on this site elswhere).

It sounds like the caliper is sticking. If it is, be careful you don't damage the rotor by contact with the brake pad's steel backing plate. Sticking calipers are usually caused by old brake fluid. When it is not changed regularly, the fluid absorbs water which can corrode parts and create sludge, eventually freezing the caliper.

Here's a Rear caliper Rebuild Kit - Suzuki GS750B.

Comment

Actually, you should be in the habit of using both brakes simultaneously.

Earl

Originally posted by caberguy
      Ever since I got my 77 '750 the rear brake lever (pedal?) has been having problems returning to the right position, as a result the brake sticks a little bit unless I pull up a bit on it with me toe... it' mostly just been a bit annoying. Lately, though, I've been a bit timid about using the rear brake at all because it seems to stick right away and lock up. I'm pretty sure the caliper needs to be rebuilt but I can't find a rebuild kit for this year... any ideas. Umm just for the record don't bother telling me that I shouldn't be using the rear brake anyway (a view that's been shared on this site elswhere).
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Ya my '80 GS850 was doing that. I was able to take the caliper apart clean it out and buy a PISTON AND SEAL KIT FOR IT. If you don't address it now it will warp your rear disk, ask me how I know!

Comment

I had been in the habit of using both brakes until the rear started locking up at the drop of a hat... I have, however, seen posts on the forum in the past that advocate the total disregard of the rear brake.

Comment

Check the piviot shaft that the brake pedel mounts on It could be sticking

Comment

I love the rear drum on my T.

Comment

Working...
              X