extracting an air screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extracting an air screw

](*,) Having just pulled my carbs I see that some @#$%! has turned in the air jet screw on my #3 carb to the point that they stripped the top off of the screw so I can't get a driver on it... Any recommendations on how to get it out other than buy a whole new @#$%! carb???

I had the same problem a few times, what i did was carve a groove in the screw to make it some what acceptable for a flathead screwdriver, i used a small pick to make the groove. once it was somewhat a groove, i used and impact screwdriver to get it out.

Comment

I had an even harder job when this happened to one of my pilot jets. Luckily, I had a spare jet. I just took a small drill bit and drilled into it, then extracted it using a small extractor kit purchased from a local hardware store. Worked like a charm and no damage to the carb or threads. Obviously the jet was toast though.

Comment

Last resort The mixture screws will sometime screw themselfs out it you use a left hand drill, JB weld an allen set screw into the needle

Comment

When I finally started to get the jet out the aluminium casing of the carb broke off down to the screw. There are still enough threads to seat the screw I just hope there is no air leak..

Comment

Not to laugh at your plight.... but I just had this happen to me this week... TWICE. Except it only broke on one. the other just cracked.

See here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=91393

I was worried enough about a leak in the crack that I bought a new carb body for it from a generous member here.

What year model do you have? If it's a GS1100 I'd be happy to send you a #3 carb body, since I only broke 2 & 4

Comment

I appreciate the offer, but like you I broke #2!! Thanks though!

Comment

Working...
              X